Talk

Advanced search

Why no Dinosaur clothes for girls?

(14 Posts)
Letclothesbeclothes Sun 04-Jan-15 18:22:33

When I couldn't find Dinosaur clothes (or space, bugs, anything Science) for my daughter, I made them - but she's reached an age where she's become susceptible to marketing myths, the "this is for girls" and "this is for boys."

Which is why I was so frustrated when I came across this new range from Marks and Spencers, all licensed from the Natural History Museum - sold online in the boys category only, in store in the boys section only, and photographed in boys - only! Girls are completely excluded!

I've been thinking for months about what the long term solution is, but I'm hoping that our new campaign will be the first of many to tackle this blatant exploitation and sexism on the high street.

Please sign and share our petition. Its a start! and retailers are listening.

https://www.change.org/p/marks-and-spencer-make-sexism-in-the-design-and-marketing-of-children-s-clothing-extinct?just_created=true

GatoradeMeBitch Fri 23-Jan-15 14:00:27

I saw a photo on Buzzfeed of a children's clothing store with the slogan in their window 'We don't make clothes for girls and boys, we make clothes for children.' Everything in the store is suitable for any child, and I find that so refreshing! We do need a kickback against the relentless pink glitter for girls and blue for boys. Signed your petition!

Taleggio Sat 28-Mar-15 17:12:39

Have you seen the Let Clothes be Clothes campaign about this on Facebook? Apologies I can't figure out how to link from my phone!

I think they're on Twitter too: #dinosaursforall

Betsyblue Sat 09-May-15 16:35:51

Yes, take a look at the Let Clothes Be Clothes campaign.

It's very irritating. I am also getting exasperated trying to find unisex newborn clothes as well- so much stuff is labelled as 'boys' when it's just boats, darker bright colours, blue stars etc- all totally unisex stuff to me.

Happening Sat 09-May-15 16:37:29

Any reason she wouldn't wear the t-shirts pictured? don't have to tell her they were sold in the boys section??

FarelyKnuts Sat 09-May-15 16:43:42

There are at least 10 other companies (that I know of) and small businesses who are making either gender neutral clothing or girls clothing with dinosaurs/tractors/diggers etc. A quick Google will find them for you.

bigTillyMint Sat 09-May-15 16:47:38

Surely a Tshirt is a Tshirt at that age. Can't she wear one of them?

FWIW, DD wore unisex Tshirts when she was little and still pinches her younger brothers Tshirts now despite being nearly 16 and him being way bigger than her!

SurlyCue Sat 09-May-15 16:48:59

Why arent those pictured for girls? confused if she likes them then put them on her and 'voila!' Its suddenly a girl's t-shirt. teach her to say "fuck the labels, if i like it i'll wear it"

tribpot Sat 09-May-15 16:50:16

I think the OP is the Let Clothes Be Clothes campaign?

As children become older they see advertising themselves, despite our best efforts to prevent it. M&S and the NHM should be marketing these as clothes for all - let's face it, almost certainly more than half of dinosaurs were female smile

By the way, I attended Dinosnores at the Natural History Museum recently and I would say it was half and half girls and boys, there was definitely no noticeable gender gap. Marketing in this way just doesn't make business sense, never mind anything else.

NightsOfGethsemane Sat 09-May-15 16:51:00

While it's annoying that they're sold in the boy's section, why can't your daughter wear one of the T shirts pictured? How would she know it was a 'boys' shirt?

Hakluyt Sat 09-May-15 16:56:46

Because girls, whatever you do individually a parent, very quickly become aware of society's "rules". My own dd was 4 when she refused to take part in an activity she loved because the shorts I had pulled out of a hand me down bag for her to wear were khaki, and were therefore for boys. She sat and wailed watching her friends, but she would not put those shorts on.

The demarcation is even stricter for boys.

Caveat- there are, of course, exceptions, before everyone piles in with their own anecdotes..........

Betsyblue Sat 09-May-15 16:57:23

The thing is though, the marketing is very effective and prevalent and it contributes to the ideas of difference between boys and girls in ridiculous things. Of course you can just buy a t shirt from the 'boys' section for a girl (and the other way around), but why can't girls be shown to wear science stuff or dinosaur stuff? Why can't boys be shown to be wearing colours that are constantly marketing as 'girly'?

It's just depressing that these stereotypes are started and pushed so clearly so early on, IMO.

NightsOfGethsemane Sat 09-May-15 17:00:55

I do understand where you're coming from though and have signed your petition.

When my DD was a toddler she loved George Pig. You could never find George Pig T shirts in the girls section. George was easy to find in the boys section though. Conversely, Peppa never appeared outside of the girls section.

SuchSweetSorrow Sat 09-May-15 17:08:20

I noticed mini boden had some dinosaur t shirts in their girls section- first time I have seen this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now