Talk

Advanced search

I'm sorry, but been instead of being, what the hell is that all about?

(12 Posts)
ellipsis Fri 23-Oct-09 14:08:43

I've seen it so many times in the last couple of days. It's crazy. I don't know how people can mix it up.

Well, obviously I do:

being
bein'
been

but it's so wrong!

GrimmaTheNome Fri 23-Oct-09 14:11:58

Its like 'should of' instead of 'should have' - arising from 'should've'

I have just about got my DD to accept the logic of it instead of arguing the toss when I correct her.

Fruitbatlings Fri 23-Oct-09 14:15:42

Oh don't get me started!

"Can I lend that off you" angry
It's a constant battle with DH. I so desperately want the DCs to talk properly sad

DC1 has already started copying him with "It don't work" hmm

ellipsis Fri 23-Oct-09 14:32:17

It is similar to should of, but I've seen that many times before. Been/being is a new one on me.

While I'm here, I remember a thread ages ago about 'another thing/think coming'. It really threw me as I've always thought of it as 'another thing coming' but if you think about it, logically it has to be 'think'. Anyway, a columnist used 'another think coming' in a newspaper the other day and it still made me stop and read it again. I wonder how long it takes to retrain your brain with things like that.

notunique Fri 23-Oct-09 14:32:22

It's not its! wink

Iklboo Fri 23-Oct-09 14:35:56

BIL3 says 'I won him at bowling' instead of 'I beat him at bowling' or 'I won at bowling'.
I usually reply 'he's a bit big for your shelf' but he just looks blankkly at me....

Fruitbatlings Fri 23-Oct-09 14:41:13

Oh god, just thought of another - he's instead of his I see it on FB all the time - I usually comment grin

campion Fri 23-Oct-09 14:44:05

Bought / brought; specific / pacific; slither / sliver ---

'let's call the whole thing off!' wink

mathanxiety Fri 23-Oct-09 17:27:01

Suppose to. Gaaaaargh

cattj Thu 05-Nov-09 23:20:21

'Illegible' instead of 'eligible', seen just today.

CurlyhairedAssassin Thu 05-Nov-09 23:26:39

A secondary school teacher where I work was caught correcting a pupil who had spelled "light" perfectly correctly. He was insisting that the poor boy spell it "lite".

shock shock shock

BitOfFun Thu 05-Nov-09 23:30:38

Now that is shocking.

shock

See?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now