Talk

Advanced search

It's Hallowe'en isn't it?

(13 Posts)
squeaver Fri 09-Oct-09 18:42:30

Not Halloween.

Tortington Fri 09-Oct-09 18:46:47

oh the beauty of how the wonderful English language can evolve.

this is high pedantry

squeaver Fri 09-Oct-09 18:47:34

I know, I know...

Inwardly I'm telling myself "ffs".

BloodshotEyeballs Fri 09-Oct-09 18:48:47

Yes, the apostrophe is the missing v isn't it?

Kids today <<tuts>>

Trikken Fri 09-Oct-09 18:58:13

is it the same as All Hallow's Eve or is that different?

hatwoman Fri 16-Oct-09 10:45:35

where does the n come from? if the word is short for evening shouldn't there be another apostrophe for the missing ing?

PuppyMonkey Fri 16-Oct-09 10:49:38

I write for a regional newspaper and have just written a feature about some Hallowe'en events happening locally. Has to be Hallowe'en at my paper. I am so fecked off with writing Hallowe'en, you wouldn't believe.

Halloween.

Hah!

DailyMailNameChanger Fri 16-Oct-09 10:50:00

It is both apparently see here

Pyrocanthus Fri 16-Oct-09 23:48:19

The OED still gives Halowe'en as its preferred spelling, but DMNC's link suggests it'll be changed in due course. There's C18th evidence for Halloween.

'Shortened from All-Hallow-Even'.

MissGreatBritain Sun 18-Oct-09 22:32:19

I hate to see Halloween too, but language does have to evolve. Otherwise we'd still be celebrating All-Hallow-Even. My gripe is when our ENGLISH language begins to evolve rather quickly in the direction of US ENGLISH, particularly with their dodgy Webster spellings of nite, color etc. Vive la difference I say! [pretentious emoticon]

Pyrocanthus Sun 18-Oct-09 23:02:32

I don't think you'd catch an educated American using 'nite' and 'color' isn't dodgy, but a legitimate American variation which was decreed by Noah Webster, but wouldn't have shocked a C15th Briton.

I don't want to adopt US spellings either, but I don't buy the idea that Americans have taken 'our' language and spoiled it.

Hallowe'en is elegant, but is just an apostrophe too far, now we don't use 'even' for 'evening'.

MissGreatBritain Mon 19-Oct-09 14:38:04

No, I think the Americans have taken English, and changed it for their own ends, which is fine. What I object to is us taking it back in the Americanised form, when we already have a perfectly good form of the word ourselves. I heard someone on the radio the other day mention washing his hands under the "fawcet". What's wrong with "tap" all of a sudden? And he was British btw.

Pyrocanthus Mon 19-Oct-09 18:04:07

OK, I give in, that's a bit naff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now