Talk

Advanced search

French language pedants, come and have a look at this.....

(13 Posts)
DoNotBringLulu Mon 21-Sep-09 12:41:12

I was in town yesterday and noticed a shop with the name Bijou. hmm

Is this supposed to appeal to a penchant for French chic? I would never set foot inside the shop, it's too cheesy. grin

They could have found out the plural bijoux and used the article: ^les bijoux^ would be grammatically correct, because there are many jewels in the shop.

At least the underwear chain la senza use the article, but I have no idea what 'senza' Means, it's not in my dictionary. Is it French/Spanish/Italian?

DillyTantay Mon 21-Sep-09 12:42:02

is it htat poncey bead shop?

MadameDefarge Mon 21-Sep-09 12:44:44

Hm, I think that bijou is already used so much in speech as an adjective, that it is irrelevant what the correct french usage is.

DoNotBringLulu Mon 21-Sep-09 13:09:54

MadameDefarge, bijou in English means small, attractive but fasionable so you have a point!

Dilly, yes it's a junky bead shop that also sells teddy bears, etc.

MadameDefarge Mon 21-Sep-09 14:47:35

I always smirk at those little boutiques...how mean am I?

castille Mon 21-Sep-09 14:53:42

As a shop name, Bijou is perfectly valid.

In France, Les Bijoux would be very weird as a shop name, even Bijoux without the article would be odd. You don't see many shops called "Shoes" or "Flowers", do you?

sleepychunky Fri 25-Sep-09 10:28:31

"senza" means "without", so La Senza doesn't actually make sense - it literally translates as "The Without". But anything in a foreign language is bound to impress people in the UK, dinosaurs that we are when it comes to foreign languages (disclaimer: I know this is a huge generalisation and there are many multilingual MNers, it's the general population I'm talking about)

I lived in Germany for a year though and there were plenty of shops there with English names that didn't make sense to me, so it's obviously a common ploy to attract an element of mystique and/or exoticism hmm

TrillianAstra Fri 25-Sep-09 10:34:04

La Senza: without (your clothes on) I assume wink

I don't think it's just a British thing to use foreign language to make something seem cool/sophisticated/exotic. T-shirts in Japan are full of gratuitous English that makes no sense, for example.

VintageGardenia Fri 25-Sep-09 18:06:09

I always thought La Senza was some sort of joke "the woman without [her clothes]", something like "the altogether" but as my Italian is non-existent and their tiny underwear doesn't fit me I am not really qualified to comment. I still will, though!

ChunkyKitKat Sat 26-Sep-09 11:25:03

sad The biggest bra in La Senza didn't fit me and I was advised to visit Marks & Spencer where they cater for "larger ladies."

ChunkyKitKat Sat 26-Sep-09 11:25:46

sad The biggest bra in La Senza didn't fit me and I was advised to visit Marks & Spencer where they cater for "larger ladies."

ChunkyKitKat Sat 26-Sep-09 11:26:23

Oops!

MrsSantosisafeminist Thu 01-Oct-09 17:15:48

I thought someone else had spotted it. There is a banner add at the top of these MN pages inviting us to stay in their Villas and chateux grin. I am deeply sad to have even noticed this but it has been a crap day and seeing this has given me a fleeting, if superficial, sense of superiority!! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now