Talk

Advanced search

French language pedants, come and have a look at this.....

(13 Posts)
DoNotBringLulu Mon 21-Sep-09 12:41:12

I was in town yesterday and noticed a shop with the name Bijou. hmm

Is this supposed to appeal to a penchant for French chic? I would never set foot inside the shop, it's too cheesy. grin

They could have found out the plural bijoux and used the article: ^les bijoux^ would be grammatically correct, because there are many jewels in the shop.

At least the underwear chain la senza use the article, but I have no idea what 'senza' Means, it's not in my dictionary. Is it French/Spanish/Italian?

DillyTantay Mon 21-Sep-09 12:42:02

is it htat poncey bead shop?

MadameDefarge Mon 21-Sep-09 12:44:44

Hm, I think that bijou is already used so much in speech as an adjective, that it is irrelevant what the correct french usage is.

DoNotBringLulu Mon 21-Sep-09 13:09:54

MadameDefarge, bijou in English means small, attractive but fasionable so you have a point!

Dilly, yes it's a junky bead shop that also sells teddy bears, etc.

MadameDefarge Mon 21-Sep-09 14:47:35

I always smirk at those little boutiques...how mean am I?

castille Mon 21-Sep-09 14:53:42

As a shop name, Bijou is perfectly valid.

In France, Les Bijoux would be very weird as a shop name, even Bijoux without the article would be odd. You don't see many shops called "Shoes" or "Flowers", do you?

sleepychunky Fri 25-Sep-09 10:28:31

"senza" means "without", so La Senza doesn't actually make sense - it literally translates as "The Without". But anything in a foreign language is bound to impress people in the UK, dinosaurs that we are when it comes to foreign languages (disclaimer: I know this is a huge generalisation and there are many multilingual MNers, it's the general population I'm talking about)

I lived in Germany for a year though and there were plenty of shops there with English names that didn't make sense to me, so it's obviously a common ploy to attract an element of mystique and/or exoticism hmm

TrillianAstra Fri 25-Sep-09 10:34:04

La Senza: without (your clothes on) I assume wink

I don't think it's just a British thing to use foreign language to make something seem cool/sophisticated/exotic. T-shirts in Japan are full of gratuitous English that makes no sense, for example.

VintageGardenia Fri 25-Sep-09 18:06:09

I always thought La Senza was some sort of joke "the woman without [her clothes]", something like "the altogether" but as my Italian is non-existent and their tiny underwear doesn't fit me I am not really qualified to comment. I still will, though!

ChunkyKitKat Sat 26-Sep-09 11:25:03

sad The biggest bra in La Senza didn't fit me and I was advised to visit Marks & Spencer where they cater for "larger ladies."

ChunkyKitKat Sat 26-Sep-09 11:25:46

sad The biggest bra in La Senza didn't fit me and I was advised to visit Marks & Spencer where they cater for "larger ladies."

ChunkyKitKat Sat 26-Sep-09 11:26:23

Oops!

MrsSantosisafeminist Thu 01-Oct-09 17:15:48

I thought someone else had spotted it. There is a banner add at the top of these MN pages inviting us to stay in their Villas and chateux grin. I am deeply sad to have even noticed this but it has been a crap day and seeing this has given me a fleeting, if superficial, sense of superiority!! wink

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: