Talk

Advanced search

Rogue apostrophes

(27 Posts)
ShowOfHands Tue 15-Sep-09 16:08:27

Quite apart from the 'buy your onion's here' signs, are they becoming more common? I have seen mean't several times just recently which struck me as particularly imaginative.

Have also noticed an habitual misplacing in contractions to give do'nt and could'nt for example.

It seems to be a common mistake now but why? Has it always been this way?

campion Tue 15-Sep-09 17:38:48

I blame the teacher's wink

cattj Sat 19-Sep-09 22:33:27

No. It appears that stupidity is inherited, and that those at the bottom of the gene pool are breeding like rabbits.

cattj Fri 09-Oct-09 09:18:08

"Service plan's from £17.75 per month fixes your service cost's at Todays prices for three years incudes MOT's."

:BARF:

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 09-Oct-09 09:19:28

How hard can it be to teach correct usage?!

cattj Wed 21-Oct-09 19:20:16

In a shop today, there were 14 different signs with rogue apostrophes included... I had to leave before I started foaming at the mouth and/or the convulsions started. Gak!

MrsBadger Wed 21-Oct-09 19:42:54

I took down a poster at nursery with a rogue apostrophe (Green Pea's) and handed it to the room leader. I felt an army of MN pedants cheering me on...

DadInsteadofMum Thu 22-Oct-09 09:31:58

Hoorah

Stayingscarygirl Thu 22-Oct-09 10:10:04

I saw a classic the other day - a fast food place sign saying they sold:

Currie's, Pizza's, Kebab's and Burger's!

Would I be wrong to go back with a can of black paint and correct it? grin

totallyawesome Fri 23-Oct-09 07:25:50

Surely correct usage can only be taught with any degree of accuracy if the teacher also has a vague grasp of the concepts? My DD once came home with a report saying that (and I quote verbatim) "the only think letting her down in litteracy is her inconsistant spellings". This was before they had a go at apostrophes, though. Maybe the teacher is better at punctuation than spelling?

Guimuahahahahahaaaaaaa Fri 23-Oct-09 07:35:50

When I left secondary school in 1996, I had not been taught anything about the correct use of apostrophes at any stage. We learned what assonance, enjambment and onomatopoeia were, but not that plurals do not have an apostrophe. hmm

rotateyourheadbacktome Fri 23-Oct-09 08:02:50

It should be easy to teach. I teach, but I'm guessing they simply don't know why I think it matters. Kids who would not write dose (for does) quite happily write dosen't routinely. No attention to logic (foam, foam).

I know that isn't strictly an apostrophe point.

Don't forget, by the way, the rogue COMMA PRETENDING TO BE AN APOSTROPHE! This is a whole new world, as illustrated by the new salon near my house called 'Kimmy,s'.

I have mentioned this before here, but have not seen sufficient outrage yet...

GrimmaTheNome Fri 23-Oct-09 08:36:54

They are becoming so common that I find myself doing a double-take when I come across a rougueless signboard.

campion Fri 23-Oct-09 12:41:50

I hope you removed DD forthwith, totallyawesome.

Or had the teacher sacked.

notunique Sat 24-Oct-09 12:57:20

Also, it's GCSEs not GCSE's I have seen at least two examples this week!

What about when the apostrophe is missing in *it's.

Again, I've seen mners post in PC or AIBU on a topic about grammar and they've posted its when they really mean it's*.

its
to indicate possession i.e its colour is red.

it's for contraction of *it is*

Rant over!

notunique Sat 24-Oct-09 13:06:47

Grr, bold doesn't seem to work!

alwayslookingforanswers Sat 24-Oct-09 13:10:03

can I ask here? is

Ladies' Cloakroom correct?

I sat and stared at the sign for ages during my exam the other day wondering if that was right or not or whether the MN pedants would be up in arms about it.

notunique Sat 24-Oct-09 16:32:32

Apostrophe may follow in plural nouns ending with an s. So yes, that is correct.

Here for more details.

BecauseImWorthIt Sat 24-Oct-09 16:34:04

Yes, it's correct. If it said "Ladie's" it would have been wrong. (Actually, that was hard to type!)

alwayslookingforanswers Sat 24-Oct-09 16:34:47

aha - thankyou I've been wondering since Wednesday morning after sitting looking at the sign for what felt like hours grin

TheDevilEatsBabies Sat 24-Oct-09 16:37:09

i got a new book in today: a fascimile new edition of The Church Mouse by Graham Oakley (isbn 9781840116106)

was reading it outloud and found:

"because it's beautiful red crust appealed to his artistic nature."

yes! i'm outing a children's book.

worst bit about it is that it was said about the teacher mouse who was a right little pedant. angry

MuGGGhoulWump Sat 24-Oct-09 16:48:47

I posted earlier this week a sign I saw in a shop, Chester Draw's Fuck only knows where they got that from hmm

PrincessFiorimonde Wed 28-Oct-09 22:43:27

*Guimahaha etc* (sorry, cut & paste function not working): 'enjambment'. Blimey!

<impressed emotcon>

PrincessFiorimonde Wed 28-Oct-09 22:47:00

Bold function not working either, obviously.

Nor my spelling of emoticon...

By the way, Mumsnet, the phrase is 'to embolden a word', NOT 'to bold a word'.

<one day none of this will matter>

BirthdayCard Wed 28-Oct-09 22:52:45

On my way to work every morning I pass a farm shop which has me screeching on the brakes and reaching for my red pen.
I saw these little gems last week.

"Thief's will be prosecuted." (FFS theifs isn't even the plural!)

Seen next to a similarly illiterate sign stating

"Peach'ies 5 for a £1"

Also seen on the fathers' day mug my daughter bought at a PTA sale at her school.
"Dad, your're the best"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now