Talk

Advanced search

Annex or Annexe when referring to explanatory papers added onto an agenda?

(9 Posts)
Notquitegrownup Mon 24-Aug-09 16:17:40

Sorry, trapped in an office with no dictionary, so can't check. Wikipaedia offers both spellings.

BitOfFun Mon 24-Aug-09 16:19:05

I thought it was Appendix? <knows nothing>

whippet Mon 24-Aug-09 16:20:05

Appendices

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 24-Aug-09 16:22:33

Addendum or addenda, or appendices/appendix. Not annexe.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 24-Aug-09 16:28:05

An appendix contains related material that supplements the body of the master document, i.e. technical specification ora document quoted within the main text, but would not be appropriate to have in the main doc.

An addendum contains information that you would have included in the text if you had it when you wrote it i.e. a design which was not completed when the main doc was originally written.

Or summat like that.

Notquitegrownup Mon 24-Aug-09 16:29:12

Ah but these are explanatory notes added on as an appendix to an appendix, which new boss asked me to put in as Annex(e) 1, 2 or 3!

Just found an online dictionary which says that Annex is US, Annexe English, so I'll run with that.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 24-Aug-09 16:29:21

Sorry I meant to say appendix singular, appendices plural; addenda singular addendum plural.

I don't normally venture in pedant's corner blush

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 24-Aug-09 16:29:54

Oh Christ knows then!!!!

Notquitegrownup Tue 25-Aug-09 16:05:51

lol - me neither Gerrof - in huge admiration of all of the wisdom one finds here though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now