Talk

Advanced search

WHAT?

(53 Posts)
word Mon 27-Jul-09 15:55:54

Right. Showed sby a video of our hols. On it was a bit where my DS wanted to play the yes or no game - ie you are not allowed to answer any question with yes or no.

I was enjoying watching it until we got to the bit where DS said (on the video), "Mu-uuuum... ?" and as I knew he was trying to catch me out, instead of replying, "Yes, darling?" I said, "What, darling?".

At this point the people watching the video decided to pull me up on my English!

"It's not "what", it's "pardon"". Cue guffaws of laughter (they know I'm a pedant).

WTF?

Firstly, I WAS PLAYING A SODDING GAME, secondly, does anyone answer "Muuuuuum?" with pardon? Thirdly, isn't it rude for anyone (apart from your parents perhaps) to critisize you, as a grown adult, for saying anything?

Finally, haven't I heard that truly posh people think that pardon is rude anyway? Are there any of you "truly posh" people out there, who could enlighten me?!
TIA

PortAndLemon Mon 27-Jul-09 15:58:32

I'm not truly posh but yes, "Pardon" is seen as being faintly lower-middle-class. The posh say "What?" and the more-apologetic-and-hence-slightly-less-posh might venture a "I'm sorry, what did you say?"

flowerybeanbag Mon 27-Jul-09 16:01:05

YANBU. Pardon wouldn't have been correct anyway. You weren't saying you hadn't heard what he said, you were asking him what he wanted. 'What, darling?', as in 'What [is it you want] darling?'.

I have also heard the rumour that v posh people think 'pardon' when you've not heard someone is rude and that they do indeed say 'what' instead, but I cannot verify that personally!

word Mon 27-Jul-09 16:03:03

Thanks. I couldn't see the logic, either!

hambler Mon 27-Jul-09 16:03:20

"what" was the correct response.

Pardon is false posh. Jilly Cooper says so , so it must be true

TigerFeet Mon 27-Jul-09 16:08:43

I'm fully aware that "pardon" is faux posh but I still try and get dd to say it anyway when she has misheard something. Otherwise she says "WHA'" in an awful Kevin the Teenager manner that grates on my nerves. She's 5, not 15.

YANBU. The critisisers clearly have their heads up their arses.

PuppyMonkey Mon 27-Jul-09 16:14:53

If you meant "Yes darling?" you should have just said "Yes darling?" That's what I reckon any road up, where's me whippet?....

hambler Mon 27-Jul-09 16:16:49

tigerfeet my 7 yo says WHAA as well sad

word Mon 27-Jul-09 16:16:58

Ah but PuppyMonkey... then I would have been "Out"! Please, read the OP again and you'll see I'm not totally strange... just a little bit. wink

PortAndLemon Mon 27-Jul-09 16:17:04

Then she would have lost the game, though, PM (not saying "Yes" being the whole point, or rather half of the point)

PuppyMonkey Mon 27-Jul-09 16:19:56

Oh yes... I missed that bit... durr. blush

PortAndLemon Mon 27-Jul-09 16:20:40

Mind you, if you were showing a group of friends a holiday video shot in such detail that it records entire games you played, you arguably deserve whatever you get... (notice that I said "arguably"... please don't hit me...)

word Mon 27-Jul-09 16:23:40

Oh hell, no, not friends! Family. Getting our own back. grin

hambler Mon 27-Jul-09 16:24:45

port and lemon, I was FAR too polite to point that out, but seeing as you mentioned it...OP why oh why were you showing your friends a holiday video featuring a word game between you and your child? grin

TrillianuptheAstra Mon 27-Jul-09 16:26:01

It doesn't matter if pardon is posh or not, it would be incorrect because it wouldn't convey the message you wanted to get across.

word Mon 27-Jul-09 16:26:53

Lolol.

My erroneous spelling of criticize is glaring at me now. In Pedants' Corner, no less. ROFL

stillstanding Mon 27-Jul-09 16:28:21

My grandmother - a very classy lady but dreadful snob - would be appalled if I ever said "pardon". Totally infra dig.

TrillianuptheAstra Mon 27-Jul-09 16:29:48

I spotted criticize - can you pretend to be American?

Spidermama Mon 27-Jul-09 16:29:50

YANBU.

At school my children get told off for saying 'what?' because they think it's rude. The teachers reckon they should say 'pardon?' but I was brought up to believe that pardon, along with serviette and toilet, are Hyacinth Bucket and nouveau riche.

word Mon 27-Jul-09 16:31:46

Yeah, I can pretend to be American. I don't think that excuses the second "c" being an "s" though!

Mumcentreplus Mon 27-Jul-09 17:07:33

toilet nouveau riche?

personally I don't like What? if I don't know the person...sounds too familiar and ever so slightly rude somehow...

<<wonders off because she's not a true pendant>>

hambler Mon 27-Jul-09 17:35:45

You are most certainly not a true pedant.
It's WANDERS off! grin

Actually, genuine typos don't count, do they?

stillstanding Mon 27-Jul-09 18:58:34

I strongly suspect that this isn't a pedant's issue at all but something quite different ...!

Mumcentreplus Mon 27-Jul-09 22:17:19

hahaha ..*bluddy pendants*

diedandgonetodevon Mon 27-Jul-09 22:22:57

'Pardon' is awful and, like Spidermama says, right up there with serviette and toilet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now