Talk

Advanced search

Falling Pregnant.

(14 Posts)
campion Tue 14-Jul-09 11:44:47

I heard Nicky Campbell ask a serious question about Swine Flu on FiveLive this morning regarding ' someone who is thinking about falling pregnant'. Aside from the fact that NC irritates me anyway, how do you fall pregnant?

It seems an increasingly common expression, and perhaps I'm being over-literal, but I don't remember any falling at any stage of the proceedings ( apart from falling for my DH, I suppose wink)

Tommy Tue 14-Jul-09 11:46:08

I hate that expression

(also think it sounds a bit common, if you don't mind me saying.....)

grin

Pyrocanthus Tue 14-Jul-09 17:00:53

'To fall' or 'to fall with child' are old expressions for becoming pregnant, but I'm not sure when 'falling pregnant' became current.

I always take it to mean 'became pregnant accidentally', simply because that's what it sounds like to me, but that isn't the way NC uses it.

ElusiveMoose Wed 15-Jul-09 12:55:38

I hate it as well. Bloody stupid phrase. But anything that gives me yet another reason to hate Nicky Campbell is all to the good.

UnquietDad Fri 17-Jul-09 15:29:26

It's not as bad as "caught on".

TrillianAstra Fri 17-Jul-09 15:32:37

You're on Mumsnet and you don't know how one 'falls pregnant'? grin

Well, when a mummy and a daddy love each other very much...

squashedfrogs Fri 17-Jul-09 15:39:50

As a vaguely related item, am I alone in hating it when a couple announces "We're pregnant"?. Surely only one of the couple is the pregnant one?

campion Fri 17-Jul-09 16:55:55

Yes, yes squashedfrogs! That gets me too - all that touchy feely twaddle. Is he going to go through the indignity and agony?

Is he??!

Northerngirldownsouth Fri 17-Jul-09 16:57:28

"Caught" - I hate that one! It makes no sense at all!!

NorbertDentressangle Fri 17-Jul-09 16:57:50

It could be worse, he could have used the expression "preggers"

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 17-Jul-09 16:58:43

I typed falling pregnant today and criunged as I typed it.

CarmenSanDiego Fri 17-Jul-09 17:00:02

Guests on Jeremy Kyle always seem to 'fall pregnant' - often repeatedly in terrible circumstances.

CarmenSanDiego Fri 17-Jul-09 17:00:28

Preggo makes me want to vomit.

ludog Sun 19-Jul-09 09:16:00

Does it come from the time when a woman who conceived out of wedlock was considered a "fallen woman"?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now