Talk

Advanced search

Torchwood = Doctor Who?! What else has made you feel like an idiot?

(39 Posts)
MomDePlume Tue 07-Jul-09 13:45:54

In spite of being a fairly avid Dr Who fan, I only realised this morning that 'Torchwood' is an anagram of 'Doctor Who' (courtesy of the Guardian TV reviewer - I didn't work it out for myself blush). This reminded me of the fact that it took me about 12 years of watching Neighbours to realise that it was an anagram of Erinsborough. And I'm a bloody crossword buff!

So come on, fess up - tell me things that all you clever folk have not realised for years and have made you feel like a fool when you finally 'got' them.

bran Tue 07-Jul-09 13:48:06

I didn't know either of those two things so you are not alone. I don't feel particularly idiotic about it though as I am rubbish at anagrams. I comfort myself that I am a whizz with numbers instead. wink

ShowOfHands Tue 07-Jul-09 13:50:09

I didn't realise that Batman isn't a superhero. In my defence, I've never had anything to do with him and his comic empire but dh laughed like a drain.

I didn't know the latter blush and didn't realise about Torchwood for ages until I actually paid attention to the opening titles where it's rather obvious!

TrillianAstra Tue 07-Jul-09 13:53:18

Eh? Neighbours is not an anagram of Erinsborough.

(is Erinsborough the place it's set?)

MomDePlume Tue 07-Jul-09 14:07:00

Now I feel like even more of an idiot, TA. Someone told me that years ago and it sounded right, so I didn't check! (Yes, it is the place where it's set.)

But you've made me feel infinitesimally better, MaryPoppins, as last night was the first time I've actually seen Torchwood.

ShowOfHands, I think the Batman one is perfectly understandable, particularly if you're not a fan. Still funny, though.

omaoma Tue 07-Jul-09 14:34:38

ha ha ha i can beat you all with my numptiness: i am a degree educated well read woman who only realised last year, in a conversation with her religious FIL, that the church of england, and the anglican church, WERE THE SAME THING... I had always assumed the anglicans were some kind of weird english off-shoot. sorry but that beats batman by several hundred levels!!!

UnquietDad Tue 07-Jul-09 14:45:11

"Erinsborough" is ALMOST an anagram of "Neighbours". After laughing for 4 years at people who didn't get the "Torchwood" thing I can't believe I have only just noticed this one!!

Batman's Wikipedia entry claims that he is a superhero. hmm How does one define "superhero"?

MomDePlume Tue 07-Jul-09 14:46:35

Nice! This has now reminded me of another one as well. Bear in mind that I'm a bit of a foodie as well as a pedant... Years ago I was in a restaurant (with my new boyfriend, no less), and I decided to order the Cajun chicken - except I pronounced it Ca-ZHOON. When the waitress looked at me blankly, did I just point meekly to what I wanted? I did not. I raised my eyebrows and said (to myself, thank god) 'You ignorant serving wench', and repeated the same pronunciation at the top of my voice. And didn't realise my mistake until years later. Oh, the shame.

UnquietDad Tue 07-Jul-09 14:47:18

What the hell is Batman if he is not a superhero?

MomDePlume Tue 07-Jul-09 14:47:30

UD, I'm guessing superhuman powers (as opposed to fancy equipment).

catinthehat2 Tue 07-Jul-09 14:49:08

I didn't realise that when people mentioned "Porta - cabins" this was the same thing as a "Portakabin".

For some reason I always read it (and pronounced it blush) as Portaka-bin.

ShowOfHands Tue 07-Jul-09 14:54:04

Batman's just human. No super powers. Just technology.

I assumed with all that swooping about in film trailers that he could fly. He can't.

Spiderman, Superman et al all have special powers. Batman is just rich and has lots of toys.

omaoma Tue 07-Jul-09 14:55:54

i like portaka-bin! very hyacinth bucket. bit like spudooolikay (as opposed to spud-u-like). on that subject, does anyone know how the hell you pronounce nihilism? is it nee or nye???? and is it conTROversy, or CONtroVERsey? i now avoid using either in everyday conversation... not that the former comes up much!

UnquietDad Tue 07-Jul-09 14:56:16

Surely he is more than just an ordinary bloke with a leather fetish, though. He has powers of detection, crimefighting, disguise etc,. above and beyond those of the ordinary human.

TrillianAstra Tue 07-Jul-09 14:57:28

Batman is badass normal I suppose. But he behaves as a superhero (some might say vigilante) even if he doesn't technically have any powers.

UnquietDad Tue 07-Jul-09 15:51:54

I love TV Tropes!

TrillianAstra Tue 07-Jul-09 16:48:08

I'm linking them all over the place at the moment, trying to get more people addicted!

TheOddOne Tue 07-Jul-09 17:19:02

I've said this one before on here but.....

....until i went on it i thought the Channel Tunnel was on the surface of the seabed - rather than being underground blush.

Tamarto Tue 07-Jul-09 17:35:34

I didn't realise that Cruella De Vil was also devil for years and years. blush

Dumbledoresgirl Tue 07-Jul-09 17:38:04

Neighbours isn't an anagram of Erinsborough - it doesn't have two o's for starters. Or is it spelt differently?

Nettee Tue 07-Jul-09 17:40:46

I didn't notice until this year that only men play tennis at Queens. I am supposed to be quite a fan of tennis....

cattj Tue 07-Jul-09 23:18:03

* * *Neighbours isn't an anagram of Erinsborough. * * *

"[i]Or Neighbours[/i]" would be.

cattj Tue 07-Jul-09 23:18:56

Message withdrawn

cattj Tue 07-Jul-09 23:19:33

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now