Talk

Advanced search

My little rant....

(11 Posts)
faraday Tue 07-Jul-09 09:35:40

Q: 'DD is SO clever that she must go to a grammer school or an accademic independant school'.

So must you.

UnquietDad Tue 07-Jul-09 14:51:47

Yes, this irritates me enormously.

faraday Tue 07-Jul-09 16:36:53

innit?!

stillstanding Tue 07-Jul-09 16:43:47

Sounds like she will need all the help she can get.

faraday Tue 07-Jul-09 16:55:18

I know it SHOULDN'T annoy me as it looks as if I'm feeling 'How dare a semi-literate parent aspire to a more ac(c)ademic education for her daughter as she OBVIOUSLY belongs in the local sink secondary modern?'- it's just the ignorance of it!!!

I felt the same when my DS spotted a girl he hadn't seen for a while, ex-of his junior school in a restaurant- I asked the mum 'Oh, where does 'Y' go to school now?' and she said 'The CollEEjigat'. COLLEGIATE, woman!! How come if you can't pronounce it or have taken NO NOTICE of those around you there who CAN you can AFFORD to send your child THERE?!!

So not so much Pedantic as Snobbish, perhaps!!

Itsjustafleshwound Tue 07-Jul-09 16:57:42

My BIL's neighbours wanted to live in a more effluent area grin ... neighbour would really give Madame Bucket a run for her money ...

faraday Tue 07-Jul-09 17:06:47

that's a good one!

campion Wed 08-Jul-09 13:03:46

Ah, Faraday,so this is where you are! Do you know how much trouble you've been causing over on Education, eh? Dropping that question in and then scarpering. The time I've wasted on that. It's not like I haven't anything better to do wink grin

To contribute to this item - my technician at work seems unable to distinguish bought from brought, only using the latter. I'm constantly scanning and translating it in my head. She mangles the language in many other ways BUT she's a treasure so we'll stick at just the one!

faraday Wed 08-Jul-09 16:00:28

Sorry about the 'education' bombshell!

I've been following the replies but experience has taught me (learned me?!) that retort is useless.

campion Wed 08-Jul-09 17:07:21

Very wise.

Besides, you obviously didn't need to retort since someone is just adding post number ninety thousand ( or thereabouts).

faraday Wed 08-Jul-09 17:22:47

lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now