Talk

Advanced search

All musicians are pedants - do you think? come and discuss with me please!

(18 Posts)
gigglewitch Sun 28-Jun-09 21:10:27

Whilst playing in an orchestral concert today (or more accurately, the rehearsal before the concert) it occurred to me that by the nature of their business, all of us who play an instrument are pedants by the nature of the attention to detail. This of course radiates into every area of our lives, language and so on of course.... what d'you think?

PigeonPie Sun 28-Jun-09 21:13:33

Hmmm - you could be right. I'm definitely a pedant and I'm a singer and a bassoonist so I think you might have something there!

gigglewitch Sun 28-Jun-09 21:16:45

Just watching the woodwind (sorry) penciling in minute detail into their music grin made me think (pot/kettle/black etc)

uberalice Sun 28-Jun-09 21:18:52

Well, I'd hate to generalise, but yes, I'm a musician and yes, I'm a pedant. blush

gigglewitch Sun 28-Jun-09 21:29:04

ah ha - confessions thread grin

PigeonPie Sun 28-Jun-09 21:39:53

Also, I have to write everything in, particularly now as I have a memory deficiency from running round after two small boys all day and I'd never remember if I didn't write it down grin

gerontius Sun 28-Jun-09 23:47:19

I'm a musician and a pedant blush

gigglewitch Sun 28-Jun-09 23:56:56

well so am I , as i started this thread and didn't own up in the first place blush

I really do think they go together...

islandofsodor Mon 29-Jun-09 00:07:35

Do you know what really gets my goat? When peple talk about "reaching a crescendo". You don't reach a crescendo, a crescendo is a gradual thing, grrrr!

FAQinglovely Mon 29-Jun-09 00:20:47

ermm - either I'm not a musician or your theory is wrong grin

islandofsodor Mon 29-Jun-09 00:23:02

But you crescendo, you don't reach one, you reach a forte or whatever but you crescendo up to it.

FAQinglovely Mon 29-Jun-09 08:06:18

island - I was commenting on the OP - not your post about crescendos grin

FAQinglovely Mon 29-Jun-09 08:07:06

but - you can still "reach" a crescendo - if you start at the beginning of the music and stop just where it begins then you'll have reached it wink

islandofsodor Mon 29-Jun-09 09:58:00

Ah, no wonder I was confused, I thought you were commenting on my music theory.

Of course lol you can reach the crescendo, it just annoys me when people use it in a non musical context such as it grew and grew until it finally reached a crescendo.

I'm a pedant insome ways but when it comes to internet forums I am normally typing so fast and trying to do two other things at a time that my posts are littered with mistakes.

AMumInScotland Mon 29-Jun-09 10:16:31

I think musicians are going to be pedantic about musical things, but they aren't necessarily going to be about everything else. I'm not a musician (not one musical bone in my body!) but DS is and so we've had a lot of contact with the music school, music teachers, orchestra etc. And they vary hugely in the amount of attention to detail they apply to anything outside of the music itself.

Little things like planning a timetable don't always seem to get their full attention...

PeedOffWithNits Mon 06-Jul-09 20:36:09

DH very musical, very pedantic too

MrsBadger Mon 06-Jul-09 20:40:26

classical musicians, yes

no tsure I kno wmany jazz pedants

or m,any folk pedants

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Mon 06-Jul-09 20:43:02

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now