Talk

Advanced search

Seen in the window of a well-known book emporium was the following:

(25 Posts)
Grumpyoldcaaaaaaaa Fri 26-Jun-09 18:28:41

Coming to this store:

So and so, local author will be signing copies of his book: "Your Coming With Me Lad"

My mum and I both stood, aghast. I checked when I got home, the book emporium employees had indeed got it wrong, they also got it wrong on their website.

<grinds teeth>

<worries that there will be glaring errors in this post>

pickyvic Sat 27-Jun-09 16:23:58

is it this one?

www.amazon.co.uk/Youre-Coming-Me-Lad-Yorkshire/dp/0340918764

pickyvic Sat 27-Jun-09 16:24:57

do you know it took me a good minute to work that out.....doh!!!

whoingodsnameami Sat 27-Jun-09 16:30:02

My mum gave me a book the other day, I opened it, then shut it immediately, the whole damn novel is written in slang/text talkshock

The very first sentence reads, The ma and me, an me mothers sisshock

Olihan Sat 27-Jun-09 16:37:16

Pizza Express have a new colouring/activity sheet for children. On one of the pages it says 'Send us your pictures, photo's.......'.

Who proof reads these things? Monkeys?

TheChilliMoose Sat 27-Jun-09 16:44:45

This sort of thing drives me mad. I didn't bother posting on a thread earlier where the OP has the apostrophe in the wrong place each time she had put hadn't, couldn't etc. I might be pedantic but I am proud.

Grumpyoldcaaaaaaaa Sun 28-Jun-09 21:39:40

pickyvic - It's Borders (the Teesside branch, the website has the same bloody error). I had to walk past it again today, I hurried and tried to avert my eyes but they were ineffably drawn.......Gaaaaah!

LovingtheSilverFox Sun 28-Jun-09 21:48:08

Go inside and point it out, you will appear pendantic, but it is a genuine problem now.

I have just read a Hobbycraft instruction leaflet for a papercutter, which informs me I need to check the "quide rail" (guide rail) and there is a "thurning dial" (turning dial). Needless to say I will be sending an email......do proof readers not exist anymore?

Grumpyoldcaaaaaaaa Mon 29-Jun-09 09:19:18

LSF I had one of those rambling inner debates about whether to point it out to the staff.

I wish I'd gone in now!

LovingtheSilverFox Mon 29-Jun-09 21:55:48

I think if you are going to gouge your eyes out every time you walk past, you really should speak to them.

Telephone them, that way you don't have to see the offending notice, point out that it isn't only grammatically incorrect, but it also isn't the name of the book. They really should research these things if they want to sell them!

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 29-Jun-09 21:58:10

Waterstone's in my town had a sign saying 'Bored of teenage fiction ?' - I nearly ripped it off the shelf

yogabird Mon 29-Jun-09 22:02:28

Seen on 19 June whilst at a conference at the British Library of all places, on their promotional screens: 'Dad's are difficult to buy for...' It then went on to recommend adopting a book or something but of course I was silently fuming and cursing so much that I can't remember what it was for!

LovingtheSilverFox Mon 29-Jun-09 22:08:34

We need a Mumsnet complaint movement I think!

Grumpyoldcaaaaaaaa Mon 29-Jun-09 22:58:16

DH thinks I'm petty, I think I'm justified!

yogabird - the British Library, that is shocking.

MakemineaGandT Mon 29-Jun-09 23:02:08

MaryAnn - don't want to look stupid here, but what's wrong with that?

LovingtheSilverFox Mon 29-Jun-09 23:19:30

Should it be 'Bored with teenage fiction'? I was thinking the same thing, but wanted to appear fairly knowledgable...does knowledagble have an 'e' after the 'g'?

cornsilk Mon 29-Jun-09 23:32:26

Why does it need inverted commas?

UnquietDad Mon 29-Jun-09 23:34:25

Were I the author, I would be kicking up a huge fuss over that poster!

lilibet Mon 29-Jun-09 23:42:25

Photo's is a correct abbreviation for photographs, isn't it?

The apostrophe replaces the missing letters?

cornsilk Mon 29-Jun-09 23:44:27

photos is a plural not a contraction

lilibet Mon 29-Jun-09 23:49:09

Is it not an abbreviation of photographs?

MadameDefarge Tue 30-Jun-09 00:02:28

photos is fine, photo's in that context means that they want you to send them your photo's something, ie 'send us your photo's tip tips of the day', or somesuch...

greensparkles Tue 30-Jun-09 00:17:51

My DD was recently given this lovely book but the title has been irritating me. The book contains various tails belonging to various pets and it's called 'Pet's Tails' - should it not be 'Pets' Tails'? Or am I mistaken?

www.amazon.com/Jellycat-Pets-Tails-Book/dp/B0021Z2TGK

FAQinglovely Tue 30-Jun-09 00:20:06

"My mum gave me a book the other day, I opened it, then shut it immediately, the whole damn novel is written in slang/text talk"

Well it is tales of a Yorkshire Bobby......I remember reading a book for my higher English - the name has escaped me blush - but it was all in proper Scots - because, errm, that's where it was set.

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 30-Jun-09 16:39:16

bored of is wrong !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now