Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

"Ice Age 3: the Dawn of the Dinosaurs"

(17 Posts)
Kathyis6incheshigh Sat 20-Jun-09 21:14:22

Someone explain this to me.
Was there an earlier ice age I didn't know about?
Does the film involve the people from the Ice Age going back in time?
Or are they just WRONG?

PortAndLemon Sat 20-Jun-09 21:15:58

They find a Lost World style colony of dinosaurs cut off from the rest of the world, I believe.

Kathyis6incheshigh Sat 20-Jun-09 21:16:58

Ah! Thank you!
But then why is it the dawn of the dinosaurs as opposed to the twilight?

choufleur Sat 20-Jun-09 21:19:06

Probably because it starts with the same letter - twilight doesn't have the same ring to it.

kickassangel Sat 20-Jun-09 21:30:49

oooh, yes. having just expalined life, the universe & everything to dd, this is a porblem. she knows that dinosaurs came first, were wiped out, then the mammals & ice ages, with early people etc, right through to the sun dying in billions of years!

now she wants to see ice age 3. sigh.

retiredgoth2 Sat 20-Jun-09 21:36:32

.....my 12 year old Geeky Urchin has made the same point. Repeatedly. Stridently. In detail. There are numerous chronological and logical incongruences in the trailer which he finds difficult to reconcile.

<he has Aspergers>

....the Twin Urchins, 8, simply looked at him and replied with a sigh 'it's a film! Duh.....'

Kathyis6incheshigh Sat 20-Jun-09 21:55:47

Well done to Geeky Urchin.
I think I will go and look on Moviemistakes.com now and see if it's on there yet.

AllFallDown Mon 22-Jun-09 13:39:21

Even by the standards of pedants (of whom I am one), complaining that a kids' cartoon doesn't adhere to the geological record seems a little, well, unncessary.

In future cartoon revelations ...
Disney's Robin Hood rendered pointless because Robin Hood wasn't a fox … I can't be bothered to continue, but you get the point.

flamingobingo Mon 22-Jun-09 14:08:59

Maybe should be 'dusk of the dinosaurs'

flamingobingo Mon 22-Jun-09 14:09:44

Also, going with AllFallDown's thread - surely the film is WRONG anyway because woolly mammoth's couldn't talk, could they?

Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 22-Jun-09 14:13:44

But talking, dancing, clothes-wearing etc animals are a standard convention of cartoons. Messing with the geological record is something else.
(Interested to know where RetiredGoth2's ds stands on this?)

cazzybabs Mon 22-Jun-09 14:16:02

what is the film happens when the sun is rising .. then it would be dawn and not dusk???

[cazzybabs slopes off afraid of posting here as her grammar and spelling are very poor]

AllFallDown Mon 22-Jun-09 15:58:55

I will confess to having seen this film. The geological record was the least of my worries about it.

PinkTulips Mon 22-Jun-09 16:24:27

retiredgoth... we had similar conversations in this house but with me being the one ranting about the plot holes and dp shouting 'it's a fecking cartoon... mammoths didn't talk either fgs!'

AnnieLobeseder Mon 22-Jun-09 20:52:25

I was wondering how they would pull this off!

And don't get me started on Bee Movie! GAH!

retiredgoth2 Tue 23-Jun-09 22:58:00

....we are seasoned movie goers here at Goth Towers.

Therefore the Geeky Urchin is untroubled by anthropomorphism.

...however, any failure of the internal logic will send him into an indignant monologue. Often during the film.

The most notable instance of this occurred in 'Happy Feet'.

....talking, singing, tap-dancing penguins were no problem. They made sense within the fabric of the film.

However.

....when the discovery of a tap-dancing penguin suddenly caused the world to see the light (in a manner worthy of Sophable's husband) with regards to overfishing of the antarctic the logic was broken.

....even the sight of a certain brand of chocolate biscuit will still send the Geeky Urchin into a tirade denouncing the plot writers of 'Happy Feet'.

....and I think he is quite right.

PinkTulips Wed 24-Jun-09 10:33:07

He sounds like my kind of person grin.... dp fails to understand why certain illogicicality doesn't bother me but i can rant for hours about other, no more improbable, scenarios in a cartoon or movie.

Horror movies are another one that cause massive meltdowns.... I can never fathom why the hero/heroine never does anything remotely like what a sane person would do in those situations.

Recent examples: The Hitcher - why in gods name did they not run into the diner and ring an ambulance for the dying man? why did she try and shoot the cop? why did they do a million and one other things that no perosn in that situation would ever do?

The Eye - beyond the immediate issue of the name (she got 2 eyes, at no point is there only one eye involved in the plotline so why call it 'the eye' and not 'the eyes'? she realises pretty quickly what she's seeing... yet every time she sees a dead perosn she reverts back to acting as if she doesn't know they're dead/ doesn't understand what's happening... why? she keeps explaining herself in a way that is easily misinterpreted as her simply having trouble adjusting to sighted life... why doesn't she spell it out to the phychologist guy 'I see dead people you arsehole!'

yet transformers i have no real issues with.... giant megabots traveling across space seems more plausable to me than dinosaurs and mammoths interacting during the ice age grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now