Talk

Advanced search

Any French language pedants out there?

(41 Posts)
chocolateismyonlyweakness Thu 04-Jun-09 19:27:22

We were on holiday last week in the Isle of Wight and saw a florist's shop with a sign: "Mon Cherie Flowers."

They could at least have found out the correct pronoun and added the accent over the e! "Ma chérie" would be correct.

RamblingRosa Fri 05-Jun-09 08:59:42

Je suis d'accord

BonsoirAnna Fri 05-Jun-09 09:00:55

LOL wink

I completely agree; there is the same problem in reverse ie really vile pseudo-English names of brands, shops etc here in France.

Molesworth Fri 05-Jun-09 09:12:19

The worst one I've seen is on a café named ...

"L'Patisserie"

WTF?

chocolateismyonlyweakness Fri 05-Jun-09 16:28:46

Merci pour vos réponses, passez un bon week-end mes amis de mumsnet (...I'm a French learner, so let me know if that's wrong! grin)

BonsoirAnna Fri 05-Jun-09 17:35:15

Mes amies

gerontius Fri 05-Jun-09 22:48:10

Oui, mais il y a aussi des gens de Mumsnet qui sont des hommes....

BonsoirAnna Sat 06-Jun-09 09:45:15

You wouldn't use "amis" on a French women's forum, I can assure you! Even if the odd man did appear here and there!

chocolateismyonlyweakness Sat 06-Jun-09 11:13:40

De quelle région habitez-vous en France, Anna? Je suis curieuse!

Also, on a French forum like mumsnet would they call each other tu or vous?

chocolateismyonlyweakness Sat 06-Jun-09 11:35:10

Anna, I forgot to add, it's interesting to see that the French would use "amies."

From my learners' French knowledge, I thought the presence of only one man would change the whole gender of nouns, on a women's discussion they can claim feminine forms.

Gorionine Sat 06-Jun-09 11:43:09

Chocolate tu as raison. Tu as bien appris ta grammaire. Ce que Anna veux dire c'est que meme si il y a quelques hommes sur le forum, les femmes ont dedcide d'ignorer le fait, rien a voire avec la grammaire!grin

Je ne connais pas de forum equivalent en francais mais je suppose que TU est plus apprprie que VOUS. Apres avoir passe 12 ans en Engleterre, je dis TU meme aux caissieres des magasins quand je rentre chez moi en Suisse.smile

C'est tres difficile d'ecrire en francais sans accents et sans cedille!

chocolateismyonlyweakness Sat 06-Jun-09 12:38:29

Merci beaucoup Gorionine, la grammaire français est trés compliqué.

Cependant, je peux appuyer "Alt 0233" pour é, par exemple, j'ai une liste que me montre tous les accents et çedilles sur mon clavier.

AbricotsSecs Sat 06-Jun-09 12:48:10

Message withdrawn

BonsoirAnna Sat 06-Jun-09 13:04:55

You would vous on a French women's forum, unless and until you knew each other well enough to change to tu... as in life.

Othersideofthechannel Sat 06-Jun-09 19:34:20

magicmaman.com

Nowhere near as good as MN though!

chocolateismyonlyweakness Sat 06-Jun-09 19:49:05

Thank you for the address, Otherside.

AbricotsSecs Sun 07-Jun-09 09:46:50

Message withdrawn

Gorionine Sun 07-Jun-09 12:23:36

Oh! Il faut que j'esaie le truc pur les accents.
Merci pour l'adresse!

Bonnne fete des Meres!

bred Sun 07-Jun-09 18:45:12

Today I passed a restaurant in London offering an "al a carte" menu.

Gorionine Mon 08-Jun-09 09:33:24

LOL @ "al a carte", sounds more like an arabic restaurant!

DadInsteadofMum Mon 08-Jun-09 10:57:09

As we have strayed on to restaurants and French, am I correct to get annoyed when I see the main course headed Entrees?

Obviously I am annoyed because it is an American idea that is gaining ground over here (sufficient reason in itself) but I always thought that Entrees were starters.

Apologies for lack of accents, barely have sufficient dexterity to type in English.

chocolateismyonlyweakness Mon 08-Jun-09 13:15:32

DadInsteadofMum, a french word for starter is l'entrée or it could be hors-d'oeuvre, so I agree with you, that's irritating.

They should call it the plat principal.

chocolateismyonlyweakness Mon 08-Jun-09 13:40:22

Or le plat principal!

AbricotsSecs Mon 08-Jun-09 14:40:03

Message withdrawn

abraid Mon 08-Jun-09 14:43:36

'American' French is indeed a strange beast. A friend from Boston talked about a croissant once and I thought she was having a sneezing attack.

And 'urbs' for herbes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now