Talk

Advanced search

"you and me" or "youself and myself" ??

(5 Posts)
lilolilmanchester Tue 28-Oct-08 13:02:20

"Please schedule meeting for x, y, z, you, and me" or
"please schedule meeting for x, y, z, yourself and myself"

Any guidance when to use "yourself and myself" appreciated. Thanks!

childrenofthecornsilk Tue 28-Oct-08 13:07:11

and I?

PortAndDemon Tue 28-Oct-08 13:14:03

NOT "and I". You wouldn't say "Please schedule meeting for I", so you don't say "Please schedule meeting for [...] and I"

If you were saying "Please can you schedule a meeting for yourself, x, y, z and me?" then it would definitely be "yourself" because the referent ("you") had already been used. I think that in your formulation you could treat the initial "you" as being implied, so could still say "Please schedule a meeting for yourself, x, y, z and me."

lilolilmanchester Tue 28-Oct-08 15:20:44

thanks PortandDemon. Def not "I" cornsilk for reason PortandDemon suggests. So for future reference PortandDemon, you use "yourself" or "myself" if and only if the referent has already been used - in the same sentence? Or para? Not sure what the rules are for this.

RoxyNotFoxy Fri 31-Oct-08 19:57:44

Or you use it for emphasis, as in "You yourself have done what you accuse me of"

Also for differentiation. "Sue told Cathy that she had been chosen" - who is chosen, Sue or Cathy? It isn't clear. But if you say "Sue told Cathy that she herself had been chosen" it makes it clear that Sue was chosen, not Cathy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now