Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cow and gate baby food advert

(8 Posts)
NannyNanny Fri 17-Oct-08 15:10:43

This series of adverts drive me crazy. The adverts state things such as "Cow and gate (insert product name) contains more iron than a toy rattle" While this voiceover plays there is an image of a baby chewing a toy rattle. Fair enough. This makes sense. However, they have another advert in which there is a baby chewing a bracelet and the voiceover states "Cow and gate (insert product name) contains less sugar than a bangle".
I really didn't know that bangles were that sugary. Did their advertising team not notice this?

NannyNanny Fri 17-Oct-08 22:05:41

hello

VintageGardenia Fri 17-Oct-08 22:08:39

Haven't seen that but sounds absolutely stupid!

loobeylou Fri 24-Oct-08 13:49:27

have not seen the ad but sounds a bit wierd because assuming a bangle contains no sugar, how can their product contain less?

Loads of stupid ads around at the mo though

Habbibu Fri 24-Oct-08 13:55:14

They're all pretty crap - the one with the porridge drives me mad "baby can't have mummy's porridge because it's too salty, and she can't have daddy's porridge because it's too sugary, so she has to have the one that costs 7 times more". It's OATS, ffs. Just don't put bloody salt and sugar in. Is that so hard to understand? Presumably in the world of sugared bangles it is...

cyanarasamba Fri 24-Oct-08 13:58:06

I think they're playing around here.

Many stupid adverts recently have made supposed health claims - e.g. a bowl of all bran contains more fibre than 15 apples - which taken in isolation is pretty useless information when trying to work out a balanced diet.

They're subverting this by taking it new levels of useless information which certainly gets your attention.

However, is it approprite for them to do this when talking about something I'm going to feed to my baby? I think not.

danceontherun Sun 26-Oct-08 11:55:04

I hate the porridge one. It's implying that oats and milk aren't healthy for babies. ARGGGGGG

PuppyMonkey Sun 26-Oct-08 11:57:28

It's postmodern irony, doncha know?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now