Talk

Advanced search

On the BBC news today...

(10 Posts)
sustainablysourcedwhitefish Fri 17-Oct-08 00:11:54

The political correspondant said, "this was spelled out in Parliament earlier..." Spelt surely? I wait for the greater knowledge of the Pedants'.

But not a single one of you addressed my coinage issue <disappointed>

sustainablysourcedwhitefish Fri 17-Oct-08 00:12:30

surely, I await the greater...

TheDevilWearsPrimark Fri 17-Oct-08 09:44:37

I don't know.

But it does annoy me that everyday on bbc breakfast they say 'now it's time for the local news where you are'

It seems wrong to me.

WayneAteASlob Fri 17-Oct-08 09:46:27

Agree DWP - "the news where you are" or "your local news" but not both. Probably not technically incorrect, just a waste of words.

PortAndDemon Fri 17-Oct-08 09:54:15

Spelt is the irregular form of the verb, spelled the (constructed by generalisation of the standard rule) regular. The irregular was once indisputably the only correct option, but most irregular verbs are somewhere along a shift towards a regular form (Steven Pinker's Words and Rules is good on this). IME this seems to be particularly true of the -t endings shifting to -ed; they are now used more-or-less interchangeably and I think in twenty years' time you'll only see the regular form in use. The same thing's happened in the recent past to many of the verbs we now use only in a regular form.

TheDevilWearsPrimark Fri 17-Oct-08 10:13:35

is that a little like 'a hotel' becoming acceptable, but still not quite right?

SharpMolarBear Fri 17-Oct-08 10:17:41

On the local radio station I listen to they say "It's now 9am across the north east"
Technically correct but it does make me wonder what time it is in London

SharpMolarBear Fri 17-Oct-08 10:18:09

(obviously they say it at 9am, not 10-15!)

TheDevilWearsPrimark Fri 17-Oct-08 10:19:47

grin

sustainablysourcedwhitefish Fri 17-Oct-08 11:37:24

Thank you PandD

It just seems lazy, to me, to use the regular - especially as I expect a better standard from the BBC.

Oh, how I mourn the passing of RP...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now