Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dd1 has had her first piece of GCSE English coursework marked, and...

(25 Posts)
jura Fri 10-Oct-08 11:12:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BecauseImAWitch Fri 10-Oct-08 11:13:45

Oh dear. I bet DD's teacher doesn't know she's messing with 2 pedants!

<Checks spelling, grammar and punctuation before pressing 'post'>

RibenaBerry Fri 10-Oct-08 13:37:40

My English teacher was an apostrophe nazi. She would be so proud of me now...

grin at the incorrect apostrophes elsewhere not being corrected.

hatwoman Fri 10-Oct-08 14:06:11

fecking outrageous. I can forgive (just and pretty grudgingly) misplaced apostrophes in school letters as I know they are written by the secretary not the teachers (although, assuming the head approves them, I frequently conclude that she lacks an eye for detail...)but an incorrect correction by an English teacher shock.

I'm not sure my indignation would be dilulted by the incorrect ones not being corrected. Well, I'd maybe feel a bit more humble, but just as annoyed with the lack of correcting the wrong ones as with the correcting the correct one.

jura Sat 11-Oct-08 13:20:51

hatwoman Sat 11-Oct-08 13:25:56

eh?

jura Sat 11-Oct-08 13:30:00

jura Sat 11-Oct-08 13:31:23

BitOfFungusthebogeyman Sat 11-Oct-08 13:40:03

I would call trhe school and ask to speak to the teacher. Explain about the apostrophes (tell her you are a proofreader or something, unless she knows about the MN army of pedants, in which case just mention that smile) without sounding too smug if you can, and restraining the urge to demand her dismassal. I'd ask her to re-mark it then, so that any subsequent drafts are accurate.

Shocking angry

hatwoman Sat 11-Oct-08 13:42:45

none of it. are they saying that the erroneous "corrections" were deliberate? and she's meant to spot them? Or are they blissfully unaware of their mistakes and they're saying that she needs to incorporate the "corrections" - ie she needs to write something incorrect? If the latter then she's got to talk to the teacher. Could she not feign confusion and take her text to the teacher and ask her if she's got a few minutes to explain - "I'm not sure I've fully understood the rules about apostrophe use." wink

jura Sat 11-Oct-08 13:49:53

shootfromthehip Sat 11-Oct-08 13:51:16

Wouldn't have thought that she will be penalised but a dim view of obvious uncorrected errors will be taken. I think the point is that she should be able to identify the errors and therefore not repeat them again in future essays. This said, it will obviously be difficult for her if even the sodding teacher is not being consistant with a) her mistakes or b) her corrections. How annoying.

RibenaBerry Sat 11-Oct-08 14:42:44

Your daughter needs to harness her inner pedant. I would be hopping mad if I was marked down in coursework for not using an apostrophe incorrectly. Draw on that teenage sense of injustice!

I wonder if my old English teacher has retired yet. I could definitely send her round to teach your daughter's teacher a thing or two. Any misused apostrophes would not be corrected - there would be a big red exclamation mark in the margin and we had to go and talk to her if we couldn't work out what was wrong!

pluto Sat 11-Oct-08 14:54:11

Your DD's English teacher shouldn't be correcting drafts - it's against exam board guidance. She should circle mistakes or do as RibenaBerry's teacher did and leave marginal formative feedback and comments at the bottom highlighting areas to improve. This is why with the new GCSEs from next Sept and 2010 coursework is going to be done in controlled conditions. That doesn't resolve this particular apostrophe conumdrum though. IMO your daughter should hand in her final piece with the apostrophes correctly placed and if her teacher marks these as incorrect she needs to speak to her then. Overall it won't change her mark anyway but her teacher needs to revise apostrophes!

Habbibu Sat 11-Oct-08 14:56:09

Did the teacher correct "the Montague's" and "the Capulet's"?

WendyWeber Sat 11-Oct-08 14:59:44

Well obviously the teacher didn't correct her incorrect apostrophes because he/she though they were correct (or have I misunderstood?) grin

Habbibu Sat 11-Oct-08 15:05:35

Well, this is what I'm wondering - is she massively inconsistent, or just quite poor at English, or both?

singersgirl Sat 11-Oct-08 15:26:27

That's very difficult. We've had this with incorrectly corrected spelling, but still at primary level.

DS2, who is 7, said he wanted to go on a Pendants' Quest (sic) with me to look out for people not using apostrophes when they should. I put him right about pendants and now enjoy listening to him calling out in the car, "Mammas Pizza have got it wrong but Billy's Bakery's got it right."

RibenaBerry Sat 11-Oct-08 20:18:56

I was in Rigby & Peller today and they (with their royal warrant!) had a sign up which referred to "trying on garment's" Sigh.

slayerette Sat 11-Oct-08 20:27:06

Tell your DD to stand her ground. As an English teacher, may I apologise on behalf of my species? I am blush that such mistakes should be being passed on!

I still remember the anger I felt at A level when I wrote the phrase 'None of them is...' in an essay and my English teacher corrected it to 'None of them are...'! So I can sympathise wholeheartedly with your DD. Tell her not to correct it - and to tell the teacher why, if necessary!

Bubble99 Sat 11-Oct-08 20:35:02

DS1 had "your rushing this" written on some of his homework.

I think we are seeing the first generation of teachers who were taught in a system doesn't want to 'demoralise' pupils by picking up on mistakes.

World gawn mad, IMO.

jura Sat 11-Oct-08 23:24:19

UnquietDad Mon 13-Oct-08 13:34:05

The GCSE Generation is now old enough to have produced heads of department.

RibenaBerry Tue 14-Oct-08 19:30:11

I am of the GCSE generation. My mistakes were certainly picked up, so there is no excuse for an English teacher. Sad reflection of the system though.

I do come from a family of pedants. My grandfather got highly emotional about the difference between jealous and envious and the difference between infer and imply!

BarcodeZebra Tue 14-Oct-08 22:02:59

Has anyone suggested this before?

FIELD TRIP!!!!

Let's all turn up there and give her hell.

Alternatively, who wants to set up a Pedants Vigilante group? We could have secret identities with masks and costumes and capes and everything. Fighting inconsistent use of the apostrophe wherever it occurs...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now