Talk

Advanced search

Just saw the word 'Bourgeois' being used on another thread....

(14 Posts)
JuneBugJen Mon 06-Oct-08 14:31:43

Are you bourgeois?

Can you tell me if I am? What does it mean other than your neck probably was at risk during the French Revolution?

Am I bourgeois? What are the warning signs? Is there a cure?

Please help. Just 5 minutes of your time could help a woman like JuneBugJen not be ostracized by society.

castille Mon 06-Oct-08 14:41:11

Well the few bourgeois French families I know are loaded urbanites with 4 kids, all expensively dressed in muted tones.

Is that you and your family? grin

Anna8888 Mon 06-Oct-08 14:43:53

Agree with Castille's definition.

If you are bourgeoise you have a slave nounou to relieve you of mundane household tasks and childcare logistics.

JuneBugJen Mon 06-Oct-08 14:45:53

Right - I am not French, and dont think the other poster was either. It was in the context of 'petit bourgeois' politics of the PTA type thing at school. What does it mean then?
Only 2 dcs castille, semi-loaded but not dressed in muted tones unless you account for the fact that most of their clothes are a handmedown!

I want a nounou anna!

castille Mon 06-Oct-08 16:08:52

For petit bourgeois PTA I'd think middle class mafia (the the "people like us" brigade)

Not a compliment, I don't thinkgrin

SubRosa Mon 06-Oct-08 22:56:41

Isn't 'bourgeois' also perceived - in terms of Communist or Marxist terminology - to be an exploiter of the proletariat? Having said that, I prefer the term 'parvenu'. I realise it's not synonymous with 'bourgeois' but it's a wonderful word.

Those scintillating statements will probably kill this thread

expatinscotland Mon 06-Oct-08 22:59:50

and the nounou is usually from some former French colony, usually N. Africa or Indochine, and expected to do pretty much whatever needs doing.

edam Mon 06-Oct-08 23:02:55

Caught three seconds of a wonderful rant from Jeremy Hardy about the avaricious petit-bourgeousie on the radio today. Reminded me of so many of those threads about 'ooh, poor people, they are just dragging those children up, if only they made a few sacrifices they too could be sending Fenella to Roedean'. Or those people who insist that council tenants are somehow subsidised by the rest of us.

expatinscotland Mon 06-Oct-08 23:05:41

'Or those people who insist that council tenants are somehow subsidised by the rest of us.'

And that they live rent-free.

harpomarx Mon 06-Oct-08 23:07:54

SubRosa, were you an 80s lefty too? wink

SubRosa Tue 07-Oct-08 11:30:19

Harpo, I still am a bit of a lefty, to the dismay of my Daily Mail-reading in-laws grin

Smittals Tue 07-Oct-08 11:52:27

are people that decorate their entire home in tasteful milky earth shades a la Kelly Hoppen the beigeousie?

Sorry that was a bit crap. Am SO bored at work. grin

JuneBugJen Tue 07-Oct-08 13:11:31

Perhaps I am Bourgeois as I think I know how to spell Bourgeois. Is this it?

asicsgirl Wed 08-Oct-08 19:05:47

grin smittals

and those who insist that french wine is far better than any new world imposter are the beaujolaisoisie

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now