Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't, but if I don't whinge about this, I will BURST!!!!

(36 Posts)
TisNotChristmasYetSaysSquonk Sat 04-Oct-08 22:03:00

If you go to the shops and buy something, you have bought it.

You have only brought something if you intended to bring something with you, and subsequently did so.

So: "I went to the shops and brought some sausages for tea" is wrong. You BOUGHT the sausages. "I went to the shops and brought my children home with me" is correct. (assuming, of course, that you bumped into your kids at the shop).

Thank you.

Apologies to anyone using said incorrect word tonight.

TrinityRhino Sat 04-Oct-08 22:04:09

I get really annoyed by that too grin

TisNotChristmasYetSaysSquonk Sat 04-Oct-08 22:05:30

phew! glad it's not just me grin

missblythe Sat 04-Oct-08 22:07:16

Oh, thank God! Me too! grin

cathcat Sat 04-Oct-08 22:07:55

Also,
You cannot loose something, you lose it
grin

MarjorieIsMyMessiah Sat 04-Oct-08 22:08:20

I agree, thanks be to almighty Marjorie for kindred spirits

TisNotChristmasYetSaysSquonk Sat 04-Oct-08 22:08:34

oh cathcart, yes that gets me as well!

TrinityRhino Sat 04-Oct-08 22:09:21

oh yes cathcart
that is almost worse I feel

spicemonster Sat 04-Oct-08 22:12:21

If you went to the shops with your children, surely you would have also brought them home? You don't need to bump into them at the shops to bring them home.

But yes, I agree. Bring. Buy. Two entirely different verbs. Hence bring and buy sales wink

Liffey Sat 04-Oct-08 22:14:01

I've never heard that. I used to get told off for saying I brought it with me though. Somebody said I should say I took it with me. Taht you only bring things back. I was just terribly ocnfused.

CherryChapstick Sat 04-Oct-08 22:16:52

Thank god you got that out. It would have been a terrible mess otherwise. grin

Swedes Sat 04-Oct-08 22:18:51

Now you've bought it to my attention, I can see the difference.

TisNotChristmasYetSaysSquonk Sat 04-Oct-08 22:21:37

liffey - I think it depends on the context:

if someone were to ask you whilst you were at the cinema where your children were, you would say "I took them to the shops" not "I brought them to the shops" but if you yourself were at the shops at the time, you would say "I brought them with me"

Liffey Sat 04-Oct-08 22:23:32

Squonk. I sort of understand that when I'm reading it, but can I apply in advance in writing to the Pedant Dept to continue to get it wrong verbally??

TisNotChristmasYetSaysSquonk Sat 04-Oct-08 22:24:27

as long as you don't go to the shops and come back saying you "brought" sausages for tea.

Unless of course, you took them with you in the first place

grin

SoMuchToBits Sat 04-Oct-08 22:26:38

Cathcat - you can loose something - but only in the sense of "let loose". Not the same at all as lose! grin

TisNotChristmasYetSaysSquonk Sat 04-Oct-08 22:30:29

I'm not sure you can loose something actually, you could LET loose, or you could looseN something, but I can't think of any way that a verb "to loose" would be correct

(although I'm prepared to be convinced grin)

SoMuchToBits Sat 04-Oct-08 22:34:36

I have found "loose" as a verb in the Merriam-Websters on-line dictionary Squonk! smile

TisNotChristmasYetSaysSquonk Sat 04-Oct-08 22:36:44

"2 a: free from a state of confinement, restraint, or obligation <a lion loose in the streets> <spend loose funds wisely> b: not brought together in a bundle, container, or binding carchaic :"

yes, it is a verb, but you couldn't apply it to yourself.

You couldn't say that you loose the lion in the street, you need to add the word "let"

I think

slayerette Sat 04-Oct-08 22:39:49

I can't bear any of these but need to add my own particular bugbear - people who use the word 'lay' when they mean 'lie'.

'So I went for a lay down...'

'I walk upstairs and lay down on the bed...'

[head exploding emoticon]

SoMuchToBits Sat 04-Oct-08 22:40:31

I've found it as "to cause (a projectile) to be driven forward with force" - (the archers loosed a great volley of arrows) etc

SoMuchToBits Sat 04-Oct-08 22:41:43

Oh yes, slayerette, completely agree!

You can lay something down, but you cannot just lay down!

JackieNo Sat 04-Oct-08 22:45:19

Well according to my Concise Oxford Dictionary, there is a verb to loose - and it's transitive, and means 'release. set free, free from constraint, untie, undo (knot, fetters, seal, haari of heat) detach from moorings' and then it goes into the arrows, guns etc and loose hold, ie, relax.

Liffey Sat 04-Oct-08 22:47:13

Squonk. That's it. I'll go round with a half a kilo of bangers in my bag so that I'm 'covered', gramatically.

Tilia Sat 04-Oct-08 23:25:18

I too find it distressing that so many people can't tell the (vast) difference between bought and brought. And so glad it's probably not just me shouting at the radio when I hear - even on R4 - presenters using "lay" when they mean "lie". At least you can't hear when they're mixing up lose and loose. And as for those who talk about "newkular" energy/weapons - don't get me started!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now