Talk

Advanced search

Effect or affect?

(12 Posts)
swedishmum Wed 01-Oct-08 23:26:22

Dd (Y10) asked me which to use in an essay. Apparently in Y6 both were given as spellings, but teacher said it didn't matter which you used (when asked) - one was Northern, one was Southern! Dd2 (2 years later) confirms this. Surely this is the evidence I need that I was right to take dcs away from this school. There are many far worse examples of her lack of knowledge, such as not being able to find dd's blog because she was spelling Sweden "Sweeden". Please tell me that these things still matter.

Janni Wed 01-Oct-08 23:28:21

Scary. No wonder children are coming out of school with poor levels of literacy if this is the standard of teaching in some places!

girlandboy Wed 01-Oct-08 23:30:36

Yes it matters. One is Northern and the other is Southern????????? OMG, what kind of a teacher is that????

LyraSilvertongue Wed 01-Oct-08 23:30:59

Of course it matters. The school is very wrong.

BoysAreLikeDogs Wed 01-Oct-08 23:31:45

Of course it matters.

<<stamps foot>>

[[women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lifeand_style/women/the_way_welive/article4833854.ece The Times on why it matters>>

BoysAreLikeDogs Wed 01-Oct-08 23:32:05

Of course it matters.

<<stamps foot>>

The Times on why it matters

Try again.

KristinaM Wed 01-Oct-08 23:34:26

but surely its not just spelling? an effect and an affect are completely different things [confused emoticon]

swedishmum Wed 01-Oct-08 23:38:45

She once gave incorrect spellings to Y5/6, then told them she had been wrong but if they spelt them wrong (her way) they would get them marked right. If you get less than 18/20 you lost your playtime for the week. So so many things wrong.
I now need a reference from that school (used to work there until I moved my children). Now she's left, should I raise these issues with the head I fell out with a bit? Don't see why I should creep for a reference, but I really need the money from supply and it's the most recent place I worked.

swedishmum Wed 01-Oct-08 23:41:20

Ended up discussing Affekt and 18th century opera with dd in fact! Key changes and moods. She wasn't remotely interested, just wanted to use the word correctly in her history homework.

schwotz Wed 01-Oct-08 23:42:58

is it effect or affect?

northern southern FFS!

wabbit Wed 01-Oct-08 23:44:06

wow... the beauty of education administered by administrators... NOT TEACHERS

KristinaM Wed 01-Oct-08 23:53:51

sorry but i think that article ( in the link) is misleading

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now