Talk

Advanced search

Giving out

(16 Posts)
hecate Wed 17-Sep-08 16:28:02

Annoys me. From the context it appears it means to shout or to tell off or to be otherwise angrily vocal. But it doesn't make any sense.

"He was giving out for an hour"

Giving out what? Sweets? Advice? Cherry flavoured condoms?

I hadn't heard it ever in my life until a month ago, now I am hearing it all over. On here, at the school gate, in the street.

What's going on?

Who can I blame?

midnightexpress Wed 17-Sep-08 16:32:06

According to my dictionary, you can blame the Irish.

Though I generally blame the Americans.

frogs Wed 17-Sep-08 16:32:21

I think it is possibly Irish? At least all the people I've heard say it are from Irish backgrounds. It's an idiom, you can't really complain that it's not logical -- neither is 'hang on a minute' or 'ear-bashing' or 5 zillion other idioms.

Buda Wed 17-Sep-08 16:32:52

Irish. We give out all the time.

frogs Wed 17-Sep-08 16:34:19

Ah someone's dictionary agrees with me. <preen>

From the same source you also get "I'm going to bring the children swimming" where standard English would have 'take'.

I am a paid-up pedant, but I don't think regional variations are really legitimate fodder for pedantic ire.

hecate Wed 17-Sep-08 16:35:43

aha! Fair enough then. Can't believe I've never heard it before in <cough> <cough> years of life!

TheHedgeWitch Tue 23-Sep-08 00:09:30

Message withdrawn

FanjolinaJolly Tue 23-Sep-08 00:14:50

Yes,we are pretty strange here Up North.

I was puzzled by "while" when I first moved up here,as in "I'm working nine while six tommorow".

LadyGlencoraPalliser Tue 23-Sep-08 00:24:25

Definitely Irish.
Here's one I think must be West Country, which I keep hearing lately: 'Where is that to?' instead of 'Where is that?' It is puzzling me a bit.

louii Tue 23-Sep-08 00:25:09

Yup Irish expression, also " I gave out to him"

seeker Tue 23-Sep-08 00:26:39

I used to have a problem with my dp saying "Have I to?" meaning "shall I?" rather than "Do I have to"" I remember once in a clothes shop he said "Have I to try that suit on?" and I said "Well, no, if you don't want to" He was seriously baffled.

My Irish father in law "gave out" at length!

LadyGlencoraPalliser Tue 23-Sep-08 00:31:31

The one that amuses me is when an Irish person says they are after doing something. This means they have just done it. On numerous occasions I have seen a writer trying to capture Irish idiom use it in the sense 'I am going to do' which is not what we mean at all.

LittlePushka Tue 23-Sep-08 00:38:54

To me,.giving out means something TOTALLY different to the Irish meaning!wink

Give over I can understand,..like using "Get away" when you hear something shocking.

I cannot be doing with the phrases
"Good to go"

and

" ...so not..."(as in eg., "I am so not ready to go to bed)

UnquietDad Tue 23-Sep-08 14:22:57

I've never heard it in my life. What does it mean?

gemmiegoatlegs Tue 23-Sep-08 14:23:56

we give over but never give out

UnquietDad Tue 23-Sep-08 14:32:24

What's Primal Scream's "Give Out But Don't Give Up" all about?

if they were from Yorkshire it'd be called "Give Up? Give Over."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now