Talk

Advanced search

BABY ON BOARD - who gets 'on board' a car?

(15 Posts)
MrsBates Tue 16-Sep-08 00:56:07

And if the phrase itself isn't annoying enough, what is the point?

Still, it's not as bad as saying 'Cheeky Monkey on board' or 'Daddy's Princess on board'. I suppose a sign saying 'Child in car' is OK.

But are drivers who are too impatient to care when a human is quite obviously driving the car likely to be more courteous when they it's actually a human WITH A BABY? I guess it tells people to look carefully at the number of passengers in case of an accident. What else is it for?

fortyplus Tue 16-Sep-08 00:58:00

It irritates me, too, but originally the idea was so that if the vehicle was involved in a crash the emergency services would know to look for a baby. Pretty pointless nowadays when everyone straps babies into car seats and leaves the sign in the back even when the child isn't there.

MrsBates Tue 16-Sep-08 01:01:48

Well that makes sense about the accident. Think really it's the 'on board' that annoys me. A bit twee.

We're up late aren't we?

fortyplus Tue 16-Sep-08 01:05:34

Haven't got to go to work tomorrow (today?!) and hadn't been on MN or FB for a while and got a bit carried away!

fortyplus Tue 16-Sep-08 01:06:18

What about 'Dad's Taxi' grin

fortyplus Tue 16-Sep-08 01:06:52

And don't get me started on personalised number plates grin

MrsBates Tue 16-Sep-08 01:08:33

That is quite funny. I go to bed much too late. Always up until - well about now at earliest. Not working, well, am looking after my 3 children who will be up in 5 hours. Maybe I should retire. Yes, I should.

MrsBates Tue 16-Sep-08 01:09:40

Oh no, I am supposed to go to bed. And those numberplates in copperplate typefaces. I thought the idea is that they should be legible.

fortyplus Tue 16-Sep-08 01:12:30

grin

fortyplus Tue 16-Sep-08 01:14:06

This is reminding me of hearing Jonathan Ross on the radio going on about personalised numberplates. He said wouldn't it be so much cheaper to get a windscreen sticker saying W*NKER grin

MrsBates Tue 16-Sep-08 01:17:05

Bet he's got one. Sometimes the most unexpected people have them. Right - I like you but I am going to bed. Sleep well when you head that way.

fortyplus Tue 16-Sep-08 01:19:10

Thanks - night night smile

Really should go now - and enjoy looking after the 3 children. I did my penance of 12 years as SAHM but started working part time 3 years ago smile

fortyplus Tue 16-Sep-08 01:21:09

I used to work for a company called John Dickinson Stationery - we all had personalised company number plates - my last ever company car was K90JDS.

So I'm a fine one to talk grin

nappyaddict Tue 16-Sep-08 01:23:13

actually they weren't invented cos of a car accident they were invented to get other drivers to drive extra carefully around cars with children "on board" see here for more detail

fortyplus Tue 16-Sep-08 01:34:26

Ahhh... but if you read it right thru it says that the inspiration for the signs came from a friend who saw 'similar signs in Europe'. I heard a fireman on the radio giving the explanation back in about 1980. I don't think it was necessarily because a child had already died - it was just that someone came up with the idea because small children used to go through the front windscreen of the car if they weren't strapped in - which only became law about that time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now