please explaint eh difference between "whilst" and "while"

(19 Posts)
CostaRicanCod Sat 13-Sep-08 15:12:07

teh beneath adn underneath

i thnakoyu

Threadwworm Sat 13-Sep-08 15:14:01

"whilst" ends in st and "while" ends in e

supercollider Sat 13-Sep-08 15:14:36

There isn't a grammatical difference; it's just a matter of style/preference. Modern styles tend towards 'while' rather than 'whilst', just because it sounds less pompous.

This is without referring to my Special Books, mind.

CostaRicanCod Sat 13-Sep-08 15:15:08

well i am sorry that si shoddy

supercollider Sat 13-Sep-08 15:15:34

Hey thready, are you supposed to be working too? <regards journal article about the Grameen Bank guiltily>

littlelapin Sat 13-Sep-08 15:15:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CostaRicanCod Sat 13-Sep-08 15:16:10

yes so lapin make a rule out of that

supercollider Sat 13-Sep-08 15:17:39

Ah, I didn't understand 'teh beneath adn underneath' so ignored that bit. They are pretty much synonyms I think.

shinyshoes Sat 13-Sep-08 15:17:54

I use whilst alot, more than while

I was upstairs whilst DP was downstairs with the baby.

I will have a bath whilst DP will watch telly.

I will have a chinese takewawy whilst DS1 prefers to have an indian

Can I post on mumsnet whilst watching tv and listening to music at the same time?

I think you can use whilst or while in all of them sentences, it's down to preference.

lou031205 Sat 13-Sep-08 15:18:59

"In the UK, the word whilst may be used as a conjunction (as an alternative to while, especially prevalent in some dialects), but while is used as a noun. In AmE only while is used in both contexts. For example, I will be a while versus whilst/while you were out, your friend called. To Americans the word whilst, in any context, seems very archaic or pretentious or both. In some regions of England, the word while is used to mean "until", so whilst may be used in spoken English to avoid confusion." From wiki

littlelapin Sat 13-Sep-08 15:22:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shinyshoes Sat 13-Sep-08 15:28:19

So i'm writing /saying it wrong then????

supercollider Sat 13-Sep-08 15:34:16

No shiny, you're not wrong. Your usage is fine - maybe just a bit unfashionable wink

shinyshoes Sat 13-Sep-08 15:37:17

Describes me to a tee unfashionable wink

FabioBigBangBlackHole Sat 13-Sep-08 15:40:03

While

Whilst

Threadwworm Sat 13-Sep-08 15:50:40

Ah, Supercollider. You have Special Books. Now I know who you are.

SuperBunny Sat 13-Sep-08 15:53:11

"To Americans the word whilst, in any context, seems very archaic or pretentious or both"

Ha! I'm going to make a point of using the word 'whilst' now. I hadn't noticed that they don't use it. They still mock me because I say 'parcel' hmm

supercollider Sat 13-Sep-08 16:20:37

wink thready. I'm not hiding, I'm just Topical.

I'm trying to edit a load of references. Gah. And I can't get the paragraphs to hang, despite removing all the extraneous paragraph marks. Do you ever get the feeling that there are some gremlins in Word?

Threadwworm Sat 13-Sep-08 17:30:48

I have that hanging problem sometimes, superpol. Delete and rekey surrounding text??

So much for my no MN for a month rule. But I'm not spending much time on during weekdays. Honest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now