Talk

Advanced search

clever folks which of these is the odd one out and why?

(16 Posts)
sleepycat Wed 27-Aug-08 10:33:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tommy Wed 27-Aug-08 10:35:26

I would say (b) not because of grammar particularly but because the others are "rules" in that you have to do something and (b) is only advice.

ShowOfHands Wed 27-Aug-08 10:36:01

Agree with Tommy, a, c and d are absolutes and b is optional.

wilbur Wed 27-Aug-08 10:36:19

I would say it's A as it should be "You may not smoke here" in that you are not allowed to smoke, not that you are physically unable to smoke. I can hear my granny now - "You CAN have a cake, wilbur, but you may not have one until you have finished your gruel".

PortAndLemon Wed 27-Aug-08 10:37:16

a. can not -> can't
b. do not -> don't
c. must not -> mustn't
d. are not -> aren't

So in b, c and d the apostrophe substitutes for a single letter o, while in a it substitutes for an n and an o.

Not sure that that's the right answer, though (it's not very interesting).

wilbur Wed 27-Aug-08 10:37:29

Of course, I am being both pedantic and old-fashioned, so perhaps that is not what this quiz is about...

GooseyLoosey Wed 27-Aug-08 10:37:48

You could also say that (a) was the odd one out as in the others you are adding "n't" to the verb whereas in (a) you are just adding "'t".

PortAndLemon Wed 27-Aug-08 10:39:43

It could legitimately be "You can't smoke here" because, for example, you were in a vacuum or an oxygen-free environment where smoking was not physically possible (granted, in that case not being able to smoke would probably be the last thing on your mind, but some people have a serious addiction...)

wilbur Wed 27-Aug-08 10:41:38

grin portandlemon. You are entirely right, in which case I would shake the hand of the person who wrote the no smoking sign for the oxygen-free environment and got it so gramatically correct.

PortAndLemon Wed 27-Aug-08 10:42:35

I think the answer is b because the others are absolutes, whereas b is giving you a choice (wear a suit or don't wear a suit).

sleepycat Wed 27-Aug-08 10:43:08

wilbur Wed 27-Aug-08 10:48:32

That's a good one though - will you come back and tell us the correct answer?

sleepycat Wed 27-Aug-08 10:49:14

titchy Wed 27-Aug-08 10:54:29

Could also be d) becuase 'you can't', 'you mustn't' and 'you don't' cannot be written any other way. 'You aren't' can also be written 'you're not'.

Just to confuse things [ggrin]

titchy Wed 27-Aug-08 10:57:51

Oh I know.....

It could be a) (see Goosey's explanation).
It coudl be b) (see Tommy, PortandLemon)
It could be d) (my explanation).

Therefore the odd one out must be c) as it is the only one that can't be the odd one out IYSWIM.....

sleepycat Sun 31-Aug-08 18:31:37

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now