Talk

Advanced search

Brace yourselves!

(14 Posts)
Califrau Tue 12-Aug-08 02:18:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Roskva Tue 12-Aug-08 08:34:42

shock but not surprised.

Earlier this year I advertised a job. I received a number of applications, from which I noticed that young brits cannot spell, and can't even be bothered to use a spell checker angry. The one that riled me the most was 'pleaze consider my aplication' from an applicant who boasted of her high level of 'literasy' (really? hmm).

If we start admitting -incorrect- 'alternative' spellings for some words, where do we end up?

DisenchantedPlusBump Tue 12-Aug-08 08:37:22

Yes and lets allow alternative answers to commonly mis calculated maths problems as well,

such as 1+1 = 3

hmm

Califrau Tue 12-Aug-08 21:09:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PavlovtheCat Tue 12-Aug-08 21:11:30

I was just this very second telling this story to DH!

I started it after his trip to the local chip shop, and the mis-spelling of 'banana' as 'bannana' and our views on how this is evidence of the demise of the English language. So I started this conversation, and on browsing the last few threads, this one was there!

Clearly it is an issue.

grin

Habbibu Tue 12-Aug-08 21:14:15

Read this in the Times Higher today as well. Clearly crap - though pavlov, would recommend Jean Aitchison "Language Change: Progress or Decay" for a bit of a debunking of the "demise" of English...

PavlovtheCat Tue 12-Aug-08 21:16:55

[http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/5006/585717 bannana or banana thread] to add to this discussion...

Habbibu - I am not sure I will be drinking enough wine to take it 'that' far grin

Habbibu Tue 12-Aug-08 21:22:07

It's a fab book, Pavlov - really interesting and she is a proper linguist who knows her stuff.

harpomarx Tue 12-Aug-08 21:23:45

owe I doen't now about that. It sounds like a verree reezonable eyedea to me.

nice won, proffeser!

StealthPolarBear Wed 13-Aug-08 12:26:40

eye dont no harpo
mebbe this spellin stuff mattas

Quattrocento Wed 13-Aug-08 12:29:36

See this man is a criminology lecturer - he has clearly been spending too long in the company of criminals and vandals.

How very shocking

motherinferior Wed 13-Aug-08 12:31:12

Perhaps he's been hanging out with Jeffrey Archer.

harpomarx Wed 13-Aug-08 12:54:01

doen't fink sow, stelth, i undastand u perfickly

cornflakegirl Wed 13-Aug-08 13:50:02

Another thread on the subject here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now