Talk

Advanced search

<splutters> You see this, THIS is exactly why polytechnics should never have been made into Universities

(33 Posts)
Twiglett Thu 07-Aug-08 18:05:35

fgs

<grrrrr>

I couldn't even read past the third paragraph

MaryAnnSingleton Thu 07-Aug-08 18:07:17

gah !! they'll be allowing them to write in pencil next...thin end of the wedge

tissy Thu 07-Aug-08 18:09:55

ROFL

He's either a lecturer or a professor, surely? Not both!

What a load of bolleaux, if you accept some bad spellings, then you have to accept them all; it's like saying you don't care how anything is spelled.

Grr... it'll be grammatical variants next!

squeaver Thu 07-Aug-08 18:09:56

I saw this in The Times this morning and knew there would be a thread on here! Some of his suggestions ae just bizarre e.g. "ignor" - WTF?.

squeaver Thu 07-Aug-08 18:10:35

ae are blush

Twiglett Thu 07-Aug-08 18:11:26

"judgment" arrrrghhh .. does he think we're American???

Nagapie Thu 07-Aug-08 18:14:08

So next time I get a speeding fine I will just tell the authorities that it is a form of variant driving??

Sloppy, sloppy and just very misguided thinking....

tissy Thu 07-Aug-08 18:14:16

I shouted "I an NOT American" at my computer at work this morning when I was typing an email in Outlook, and it insisted on spelling "realise" with a z. Even when I changed it back to s, it changed it back to z again!!

edam Thu 07-Aug-08 18:17:09

I object to his reasoning but it's not just his students who do it - Imperial College, one of the best universities (OK, part of a university) in the world came up with a long list of words that are commonly misspelt by its students not that long ago. And you'd think with the percentage of overseas students there the standard of English would actually be higher.

unknownrebelbang Thu 07-Aug-08 18:37:30

I have no degree, from either a so-called "true" university or a former polytechnic, but I disagree with him.

Should we ignore minor mathematical errors?

Should we ignore oh I don't know, any number of things?

sarah293 Thu 07-Aug-08 18:43:36

Message withdrawn

Lilymaid Thu 07-Aug-08 18:51:34

Judgment and judgement are both valid in English. A judgment in a legal case is always spelt that way, whereas judgement is the normal spelling for all other usages.

Twiglett Fri 08-Aug-08 13:31:00

that's what I love about Pedants .. there's always someone to out-pedant you grin

retiredgoth Fri 08-Aug-08 13:39:54

....I was ejected from a Politics degree at Portsmouth Poly in 1987.

This is, I feel, a noteworthy achievement in itself.

...I, too, read the Times article (despite my chequered educational history I am struggling to be middle class. Including Tuscan holidays and force feeding sea bass and olives to the urchins).

....even a Pompey Poly reject like myself can spell opertunity opportunity. Ahem.

PrimulaVeris Fri 08-Aug-08 13:41:40

He's obviously never had to decipher one of Cod's 'variant spelling' posts

cornflakegirl Fri 08-Aug-08 13:42:20

If prefer judgment - think it looks nicer. Not that it's a word I often need to use. (It's also the way my bible (NIV) spells it.)

wheresthehamster Fri 08-Aug-08 13:43:30

Eek! I spelt argument with an extra 'e' in a post this morning without thinking! Do you think I can get it deleted? blush

Fennel Fri 08-Aug-08 13:44:43

But why does it actually matter, if a word is recognisable, how it's spelt?

Language has always been a changing and evolving thing, spelling and pronunciation and vocabulary change over the years. Is there any benefit in insisting that it stays artificially static?

It's not the same as a minor mathematical error, which would make the rest of the mathematics it depends on inaccurate. There isn't any a priori reason why language should be static. It's just being pedantic for the sake of it instead of accepting inevitable linguistic change.

A bit like insisting on using quill and paper rather than the internet to communicate.

cornflakegirl Fri 08-Aug-08 13:44:47

I have a friend who has an MSc from Cambridge and a DPhil from Oxford - but has a complete mental block over "suprise". She just uses a spellchecker wink

fluffyanimal Fri 08-Aug-08 13:45:58

I think if he was a lecturer in linguistics, rather than criminology, I might be inclined to consider his argument. (I'm all for language as a living entity, majority usage wins out etc...) But how on earth can he have a clue what he is talking about?

Iklboo Fri 08-Aug-08 13:46:05

He just sounds like a lazy twonk who can't be arsed marking papers properly.
Isn't education all about teaching how to spell things correctly?
What next - it doesn't matter if you think 5 x 6 is 42. It's a 'variant' answer hmm

Twiglett Fri 08-Aug-08 13:54:51

if matters Fennel ... it really really matters

singersgirl Fri 08-Aug-08 13:59:08

So, Cornflakegirl, is 'suprise' her mentally-blocked spelling? Lots of people miss the 'r' out of 'surprise', so I bore my children by explaining how it's from the French 'sur prendre'.

singersgirl Fri 08-Aug-08 14:01:08

And I agree that spelling should be allowed to evolve, like language, otherwise we'd all still be writing 'shewed' and 'the head-ach' like the lovely Jane A. That's why we need an English Academy - so they can decree when a word should be allowed a variant. grin

JT Fri 08-Aug-08 14:13:43

couldn't read it all never mind third para

worra lowda bolloks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now