Talk

Advanced search

Two Half's

(9 Posts)
twosofar Thu 24-Jul-08 08:30:39

I know there are loads of threads on errant apostrophes but I have just driven past a pub called The Two Half's. I feel utterly depressed. I thought I'd seen it all when I used to live near a road with a cafe that served 'breakfast's and lunche's' but this must be the registered name of a business. It makes me want to cry!

theinsider Thu 24-Jul-08 15:21:06

Wrong wrong wrong. Apostrophes, "halfs" not "halves".

<<passes twosofar a kleenex>>

BarcodeZebra Tue 29-Jul-08 23:15:58

There should be a law....

MsHighwater Tue 29-Jul-08 23:21:25

Actually I will speak up for "artistic licence" on the spelling, if not the apostrophe. A half is a half (or perhaps a "hauf" when it's the same as a dram or a nip. To use "halves" for the plural wouldn't seem right.

But it shouldn't have had an apostrophe.

Botbot Wed 30-Jul-08 22:16:06

I know that pub. I would never go in it, and not just because it looks like a rough old dive. There is NO WAY I could drink in a misspelt establishment.

Botbot Wed 30-Jul-08 22:16:09

I know that pub. I would never go in it, and not just because it looks like a rough old dive. There is NO WAY I could drink in a misspelt establishment.

harpomarx Wed 30-Jul-08 22:21:07

seems the locals agree with you, botbot - reckon the last comment was put there by the landlord though!

Botbot Thu 31-Jul-08 08:55:57

Ha ha. It's got a Chinese food counter? A WHAT? I might have to go in now.

[Let's see if I can post this just the once this time.]

harpomarx Thu 31-Jul-08 10:05:38

I do like a pub with an unexpected feature, botbot.

Fond memories of pub in Archway (Archway Tavern maybe?) that had a Western Union window.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now