Talk

Advanced search

Am I being pedantic?

(16 Posts)
kiskidee Thu 17-Jul-08 14:05:15

DD, 3yo, is just getting into the swing of the language thing.

Today she is speaking with a pronounced glottal stop. wa'er, and four'een, etc.

It is part of the regional dialect. She goes to nursery. It doesn't bug me on other people. I have an American/English/Caribbean mixed up accent so who am I to judge. But I can't help but hear it from dd. I think I am being a saddo.

help [whimper]

Iklboo Thu 17-Jul-08 14:06:52

Ooh no, not pedantic
Local accent round mine is fink, fought, bokkle, kekkle etc
I'd have been pulled up VERY sharply if I spoke like that at home, DH too.
Hence we were thought of as 'posh' wink

Doodle2U Thu 17-Jul-08 14:08:19

No. Teach her to say it properly. Helps with spelling and all sorts, later on.

Tigerschick Thu 17-Jul-08 14:09:57

What Doodle2U said. smile

branflake81 Thu 17-Jul-08 16:05:15

When I was a child I started saying "ta" which I had heard the dinner ladies at nursery saying. My dad went ballistic and said "we don't use THAT word in THIS house!".

kiskidee Thu 17-Jul-08 16:12:26

oh thanks everyone. i was wondering what sort of reaction my OP would have gotten in AIBU.

I have never been a fan of the glottal stop. bokkle, kekkle etc also grate on my nerves.

I am picky about spelling too so thanks for reminding me about that.

witchandchips Thu 17-Jul-08 16:17:03

imo what is important is clarity and fluency. children pick up all sorts of accents Think the worse thing you can do is to correct them as they will then start being hesitant. By all means repeat it back "your way" if you want but i wouldn't stop them to get them to say it properly.

Doodle2U Thu 17-Jul-08 16:52:34

Yes, agree with witchesandchips about picking up on it excessively - can cause hesitation - saw this with one of my son's friends for exactly that reason. Still say you should encourage her to say it properly one a 'repeat it back once' basis though.

AIBU - don't even go there kiskideewink

kiskidee Thu 17-Jul-08 20:29:06

i am scared of over criticising her speech which is why I have come here for direction instruction.

I told dh on the phone about her glottal stop and he was amazed at how pronounced it suddenly has appeared when he got home tonigh. He doesn't speak with the stop either so she didn't learn it at home.

NotQuiteCockney Thu 17-Jul-08 20:30:34

Kids know to copy people outside the home, their accents matter more, iyswim.

I wouldn't correct it, particularly not at this stage.

flimflammum Thu 17-Jul-08 20:37:47

My DD (almost 3) has started saying 'Oi loike roiding my troike' instead of 'I like riding my trike' recently. It might be a local accent thing as we live in Sussex, but he hasn't picked up any other aspects of the local accent, and I can't think of anyone who talks like that. He's a very good mimic btw and was an early talker. Anyone else had a child do this one? We do correct him gently sometimes, but don't want to make a big deal about it.

Habbibu Thu 17-Jul-08 20:46:18

<whispers> It's a glottal plosive...

Habbibu Thu 17-Jul-08 20:48:02

and go ahead and shoot me, but if you can't be pedantic here...

kiskidee Thu 17-Jul-08 20:58:15

ner, ner, ner, ner, ner, ner

mummyloveslucy Thu 17-Jul-08 20:59:52

I would definatly correct her before it becomes a real habbit. It sounds awful. My tows would curl if I heard my daughter talking like that. I am a self confessed snob though.blush

Habbibu Thu 17-Jul-08 21:02:28

bah humbug, you crazy googler. That's what we were told by Phonetics lecturer. But it was a long time ago...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now