Talk

Advanced search

My name is Undervalued...and I'm a pedant (sob)

(59 Posts)
undervalued Mon 14-Jul-08 21:34:34

Imagine it pedants..... you're going on a hen night (fair enough, you can cope) Bride to be turns up with t-shirts to wear - one for day and one for night! (WTF???) You manage to keep smile on your face. Then you notice:
a) wrong spelling, your name now ends with a y, not an -ie!
b) On the back, in gold lettering (shock), are the words - 'Blah's hen's'
Feel my pain please. I am a farkin English teacher. Is wearing this T-shirt unprofessional? Will I be fired?
<<Should I get out more???>>

mummyloveslucy Mon 14-Jul-08 21:39:44

Just have a few drinks before you leave the house, that way you won't care.grin I just hope none of your pupils or fellow teachers see it.

Twiglett Mon 14-Jul-08 21:41:19

use your red pen (marker will work)

mummyloveslucy Mon 14-Jul-08 21:44:43

I am actually dyslexic so don't really know what I'm doing on pedants corner.blush And according to Twiglet hear I sound like a prat!!sad

undervalued Mon 14-Jul-08 21:48:13

You sound lovely MLM, shuddered at the thought of bumping into any students on this night out!
Can't use red pen any more Twiglett, green will have to do.

undervalued Mon 14-Jul-08 21:49:29

MLL even...ooops

LongLiveGreenElizabeth Mon 14-Jul-08 21:50:49

ooooooooooooh! I am not an English teacher, but I did go to school and have read the odd book. That would have hurt me. It's embarrassing enought being a in a gaggle of henpals.

Did you wear it? I would have bought Tipp-Ex and put a splodge on the offending apostrophe.

PeaMcLean Mon 14-Jul-08 21:51:32

Can't use red pen??? Digressing here, but is that a school rule?

LongLiveGreenElizabeth Mon 14-Jul-08 21:51:53

PS whose mistake was it? The chief BM organising the hen night? or the eejit who works at the print your own t-shirt shop?

mummyloveslucy Mon 14-Jul-08 21:52:03

Thank you. smilesmile

PeaMcLean Mon 14-Jul-08 21:52:28

What colour are the tshirts? And are they sufficiently cheaply printed to peel off the lettering?

cornsilk Mon 14-Jul-08 21:53:06

You could say it was irony if cornered by a parent.

yorkshirepudding Mon 14-Jul-08 21:53:26

Message withdrawn

undervalued Mon 14-Jul-08 22:01:12

T-shirt is black and (sadly) lettering is stuck fast!! Tippex won't work but would it be rude to wear a jacket??? All day and all night???

They have even used the word sexy (I'm not!!) as it starts with the same letter as my name (I did laugh(!!) at the clever use of alliteration) - this is in silver print for the night time t-shirt. Will my pain ever end??
The hen night is this Saturday.

mummyloveslucy Mon 14-Jul-08 22:01:18

I'd have another one printed. Even I know that there is no apostrophe and that's saying somthing. Mind you, I did have a fantastic english teacher.smile

undervalued Mon 14-Jul-08 22:03:25

Green pen is not exactly a rule. We are... encouraged to avoid red.grin

squeaver Mon 14-Jul-08 22:04:06

Oh God, Undervalued, I feel for you. I DESPISE hen nights.

Brangelina Mon 14-Jul-08 22:05:21

Black marker pen.

Or failing that.....

....black nail polish.

undervalued Mon 14-Jul-08 22:08:25

Don't put yourself down MLL. Not all English teachers are fantastic, you were lucky!!
It was the BM's error. She was too busy working out where she could buy 'L' plates and other 'decoration.'
Shoot me now........

mummyloveslucy Mon 14-Jul-08 22:13:34

You could always come down with the flue or somthing. grin

undervalued Mon 14-Jul-08 22:19:04

Not an option mll, dh keen for me to fit in...well make an effort to anyway. Bride is lovely and wouldn't want to hurt her feelings. I hate hen nights. i don't binge drink and am very limited in terms of girlie conversation. Help...

LongLiveGreenElizabeth Mon 14-Jul-08 22:25:04

Could you put a little bit of black material from something else over the apostrophe? Or, would one of those big thick black markers, you know the ones, you take off the lid and inhale and feel a bit whoozy, would one of those cover up the POZ?

LongLiveGreenElizabeth Mon 14-Jul-08 22:27:28

I've got a good idea. Stitch it in! Fold the material so that the apostrophe is hidden, and then just stitch it with black thread to hold it that way.

You will stand out as the 'one who can spell'. The guys will be saying, yours is the blonde, Gary is going to chat up the fat red hed, and I'm going to JUST chat to the one who can spell. wink

mummyloveslucy Mon 14-Jul-08 22:27:31

I hate hen nights too for the same reasons. I do feel for you, I'm glad it's not me.grin

LongLiveGreenElizabeth Mon 14-Jul-08 22:29:37

I hate them too. I've done well to have attended so few. I have lots of married friends so I don't know how I've avoided the hen nights so successfully!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now