Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Stupid signs...

(50 Posts)
Lakelover Thu 10-Jul-08 15:04:00

Probably been many threads on this very subjest but I get irrationally irritated when people use an apostrophe when not required. A roadside sign on my way to work reads 'Puppy's for sale!' Puppy's what??!
Also on big sign in shop window - SALE! Hat's!! Scarve's!!(yup) Book's!! I mean COME ON. Don't any of these people read? Goodness I sound like my Grandmother....

fryalot Thu 10-Jul-08 15:12:46

<<<opens door of pe'dants corner wide>>>

come in Lakelover, you're one of us grin

(the apostrophe is ironic before anyone pulls me up about it)

Lakelover Thu 10-Jul-08 15:22:14

Why thank you so much Squonk. I LOVE Pedant's Corner! Typical though - I've only gone and included a bloody typo in my first ever post. Subjest? Apologies all. LL bows head in shame.

IdrisTheDragon Thu 10-Jul-08 15:24:02

It pleases me that in our local Morrisons there was a sign that said "Baby trolley's and disabled trolley's are not allowed on the travelator" but when I was there recently I saw that the apostrophes have been painted out smile.

It's the small things that keep me happy smile

crochetdiva Thu 10-Jul-08 15:25:17

Can I join in?

DS's school has a sign outside the gate, saying "Slow Children Crossing" ... I keep meaning to take a marker pen, and insert a comma - my child's not that slow!

Lakelover Thu 10-Jul-08 15:35:09

Idris - I've been tempted to get the old paint out myself on occasion!

I hate the Slow Children Crossing one too crochetdiva.

At DS's nursery we've had some corkers in his diary. 'Brekfast' 'Wonderfull' 'Suncreem'
'Samwhitch'. Am I being TOO judgemental and picky?

I would hazard a guess that about 70% of the population don't know what to do with an apostrophe. (And some of them are teachers!)

I LOVE "Heavy plant crossing".. I always picture a huge cactus in a pot lumbering across

Miaou Thu 10-Jul-08 16:25:33

When I started work at a nursery there was a picture on the wall entitled "Colourfull World". I redid the title on my first day!

spongebrainbigpants Sat 12-Jul-08 18:38:28

Oh my god, can't believe I have found this forum - I am the biggest pedant around (inherited from my dad who has spent his life shouting at the tv when someone quantifies the words 'unique' - his absolute pet hate!).

I have been reading the threads on this forum for the last half hour and finding myself constantly nodding in agreement - do I need to get a life? grin

spongebrainbigpants Sat 12-Jul-08 18:38:58

And apostrophes in the wrong place are my biggest pet hate! grin

BellaBear Sat 12-Jul-08 18:49:21

In Boots: kid's toiletries (dh remarked that the kid had an awful lot of toiletries)

BarcodeZebra Sat 12-Jul-08 21:14:13

In DD2's nursery diary last week they reported on their visit to the "dack point" (duck pond). Sadly, I cannot permit any of you to mock as the perpetrator was E. European. Still made me laugh though.

onepieceoflollipop Sat 12-Jul-08 21:18:02

Our local newspaper had some interesting spellings in the property guide.

"enterence" hall springs to mind. I wanted to correct them all and send it back to them.

BettySpaghetti Sat 12-Jul-08 21:21:49

We used to regularly drive past a sign saying "Proberly the cheapest beds in town" and go aaarrgghh!

Several years later the sign was replaced with one that had correct spelling.

Oh, and DS's nursery had a Christmas Bizarre last year hmm

donnie Sat 12-Jul-08 21:21:58

In America your house can be 'burglarized' you know.

UnquietDad Sat 12-Jul-08 21:25:25

at Christmas Bizarre. Picturing stalls with weird and strange decorations.

BettySpaghetti Sat 12-Jul-08 21:27:35

Unquietdad -well, seeing as a lot of the decorations and things for sale were made by children aged 1-4 you're probably not far off the mark smile

Fleecy Sat 12-Jul-08 21:32:05

I once lived on Bishop's/Bishops Close. There was a sign on each side of the road, one with and one without the apostrophe. Maybe the people who ordered the signs were hedging their bets?

Threadwworm Sat 12-Jul-08 21:45:26

Saw a sign on a fairground ride today: 'Please ensure that your child's hands are free from any carried objects'.

That would be 'Please make sure your child isn't carrying anything,' then.

CurrantBM Sat 12-Jul-08 21:54:07

DH has asked me to add this.

On the doctorsnet equivalent of "pedants corner" there was reference to a patients child having "ass-burgers syndrome".

bluedomino Sat 12-Jul-08 22:10:35

In Tesco I saw a sign "This door is Alarmed". DP & checkout girl didnt't share my amusement.

JackieNo Sat 12-Jul-08 22:11:48

lol at 'ass-burgers' grin.

UnquietDad Sat 12-Jul-08 22:38:47

Fleecy - so no sign with a plural possessive Bishops' as well, just to cover all bases?

onepieceoflollipop Sun 13-Jul-08 19:51:53

One of my patients went for "restbite" care last week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now