Talk

Advanced search

Plurals

(6 Posts)
MerdedeBrexit Wed 17-Jul-19 13:09:31

I'm sorry, I'm having a hissy fit about the grocers' apostrophes I am seeing all over social media. I've got to unclench from the fury which envelops me whenever I see a plural made with an apostrophe s, haven't I? Otherwise, I will go to an early grave because of apoplexy.

growlingbear Wed 17-Jul-19 13:11:49

Ye's you mus't start calmin down bout them. wink

missmouse101 Wed 17-Jul-19 13:17:16

I completely agree. It's really so simple to get right. Many people seem to miss them out where they ARE needed as well. For example, 'my brothers wife is having a party.' I wish so much that the apostrophe was respected more.

campion Wed 24-Jul-19 00:29:24

Here's an organisation which is just up your (and my) street,OP.

www.apostrophe.org.uk/

I have been known to correct public notices when out and about. Social media you just have to judge silently wink

MerdedeBrexit Wed 24-Jul-19 14:04:57

Thank you campion, I'd forgotten about the apostrophe.org site - one of my favourite newsgroups is: alt.possessive.its.has.no.apostrophe!
I remember a couple of years ago someone in Bristol being caught on video with a ladder and the means to correct errant apostrophes - that wasn't you, by any chance?
I am trying to judge social media silently but sometimes I need to vent, which is why I started this thread!

campion Wed 24-Jul-19 15:21:39

Not guilty, m'lud! I don't like heights wink

I know what you mean re venting; I started a thread on 'should of' as I could bear it no longer that day. Some of the replies left me bemused, I have to say.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »