Talk

Advanced search

Plurals

(8 Posts)
MerdedeBrexit Wed 17-Jul-19 13:09:31

I'm sorry, I'm having a hissy fit about the grocers' apostrophes I am seeing all over social media. I've got to unclench from the fury which envelops me whenever I see a plural made with an apostrophe s, haven't I? Otherwise, I will go to an early grave because of apoplexy.

growlingbear Wed 17-Jul-19 13:11:49

Ye's you mus't start calmin down bout them. wink

missmouse101 Wed 17-Jul-19 13:17:16

I completely agree. It's really so simple to get right. Many people seem to miss them out where they ARE needed as well. For example, 'my brothers wife is having a party.' I wish so much that the apostrophe was respected more.

campion Wed 24-Jul-19 00:29:24

Here's an organisation which is just up your (and my) street,OP.

www.apostrophe.org.uk/

I have been known to correct public notices when out and about. Social media you just have to judge silently wink

MerdedeBrexit Wed 24-Jul-19 14:04:57

Thank you campion, I'd forgotten about the apostrophe.org site - one of my favourite newsgroups is: alt.possessive.its.has.no.apostrophe!
I remember a couple of years ago someone in Bristol being caught on video with a ladder and the means to correct errant apostrophes - that wasn't you, by any chance?
I am trying to judge social media silently but sometimes I need to vent, which is why I started this thread!

campion Wed 24-Jul-19 15:21:39

Not guilty, m'lud! I don't like heights wink

I know what you mean re venting; I started a thread on 'should of' as I could bear it no longer that day. Some of the replies left me bemused, I have to say.

janj2301 Thu 05-Sep-19 10:54:01

I carry a black marker pen just to correct signs in a shop. Used to embarrass my daughters no end, now my youngest does the same

Babdoc Thu 05-Sep-19 11:03:40

I play table tennis in a village hall that is currently also being used for the primary children while their school is refurbished.
On the wall was a notice for the children, presumably written by the teachers, (!) with a redundant apostrophe inserted in a plural.
The several retired teachers in our group fought to get there first with their red pens! grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »