Talk

Advanced search

Got / had?

(7 Posts)
Deafdonkey Mon 20-May-19 09:06:38

Piercings don’t rule you out from donating – you just need to wait four months from when you got it done.

Is the above sentence correct. It feel wrong but I would like to know if it is grammatically correct.

DadDadDad Mon 20-May-19 09:58:41

It looks grammatical to me.

"To get <something> done" is a valid construction, so if you can say "you get it done" (as in "you get the piercing done and I'll make a note for four months' time when you can start donating again"), then the past tense must be "you got it done" (as in "can I ask when you got the piercing done?").

I would only do this on Pedants' Corner, but are you aware that your OP is missing a question mark and also contains a grammatical error ("feel")? grin

Deafdonkey Mon 20-May-19 13:58:52

😂 Lesson learnt- proofreading is important!

Thanks for you reply. I realise I rely on how a sentence sounds rather that knowing the grammar behind it.

thegreatcrestednewt Mon 20-May-19 14:36:38

or 'you just need to wait until four months after your piercing' would also work.

DadDadDad Mon 20-May-19 20:03:13

I realise I rely on how a sentence sounds rather that knowing the grammar behind it.

Actually, I think that's actually a useful guide. What you can do is also take the questionable bit of a sentence and see what happens when you vary it, like I did: "you got it done" -> try it in the present tense -> "you get it done" -> does it work with some words replaced -> "you got the work done" etc

Fifthtimelucky Tue 21-May-19 11:12:29

I don't think it's ungrammatical.

I was told years ago to use the word 'got' as infrequently as possible as there was almost always a better alternative. In this case, 'had' would have been better.

DadDadDad Tue 21-May-19 14:56:01

But why is 'had' better than 'got'?

There might be a reason, but I think it's partly down to the prejudices of a generation of English teachers, who presumably saw 'got' as a bit of a bland / common word that should be replaced with something with more literary impact (but then 'had' is no more exciting).

If you're writing a leaflet in to blood donors, I would say 'got' is clear, and I can't see why 'had' is any better. And saying "wait four months to elapse from the time you acquired the piercing" is not plain English! grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »