Talk

Advanced search

Floor vs ground

(3 Posts)
Cel982 Tue 02-Apr-19 22:33:11

Have these suddenly become interchangeable? I've come across incorrect use three times recently - in a book I was reading, in a post on here, and tonight in a children's book where even my 5yo immediately pointed it out. They don't mean the same thing! I mean, you might get away you with using 'ground' to describe an indoor surface in certain contexts, but an outdoor pavement should never be called the floor!

SimonitesSocks Wed 03-Apr-19 12:55:45

That's one of my pet peeves, both on here and IRL. I'm sure I heard someone use the word floor, when they meant ground, on the TV news recently.

There was a thread a few years back where the OP described finding a gold necklace on the floor, I thought she was worrying that her OH had had a woman round at their house while she was out. Oh no, it was far more mundane, towards the end of her post it transpired that she'd simply found the necklace on a grass verge!

Cel982 Wed 03-Apr-19 19:08:03

Brilliant! You see, these differences are important - a marriage could have ended over it wink

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »