Talk

Advanced search

Woman/women

(20 Posts)
NoisyBrain Sun 07-Oct-18 11:08:21

I think this is a rare one, but someone I know seems incapable of typing the singular form 'woman'. It's 'women' every time. Wouldn't be so much of an issue if her work didn't centre on a service she aims at women, therefore she makes the typo pretty much daily on social media when she's asking who wants to be the next 'women' to be featured in her blog etc. Makes my toes curl.

Cooroo Wed 10-Oct-18 10:18:09

Watch out for womyn and womxn coming soon.

OutOfDenial Fri 18-Jan-19 16:42:51

It's increasing if anything; many recent (female!) posters that are otherwise articulate mixing them up 🤷🏻‍♀️.

MartaHallard Fri 18-Jan-19 17:07:36

I see this quite often here on MN. I don't know if it's an autocorrect thing, or if people really don't know.

Anondonkey Fri 18-Jan-19 17:09:57

I have the same feeling about people who use “then” when it should be “than”. Or “been” instead of “being” which seems relatively new and is quite simply horrific. Or “defiantly” instead of “definitely”. I could go on.....

MartaHallard Fri 18-Jan-19 17:19:46

I think defiantly is possibly an autocorrect that happens when people write definately. My device is suggesting it as a correction, along with definitely.

Sjofn Sat 16-Feb-19 14:20:13

Sjofn Sat 16-Feb-19 14:20:45

As far as I can see it's increasing and I've no idea why.

Sjofn Sat 16-Feb-19 14:21:09

On a female dominated site?

CryptoFascist Sat 16-Feb-19 14:23:13

I see this all the time! "I saw this women and she had red hair" do people think it's the same for both? Do they think the same about men/man?

howdoyoukeepawaveuponthesand Sat 16-Feb-19 14:26:44

I can see how it’s slightly confusing because it’s the second vowel (a/e) that changes in the spelling but it’s the first vowel (woo-mn/wih-mn) that changes in pronunciation. Whereas “man” changes to “men” and the pronunciation clearly changes in line with the vowel change.

I don’t know why I’m making excuses for people, probably my womanly nature despite being a fierce pedant.

I’d prefer if it was something like men and wen, man and wan so it is more equal rather than adding something to the word “man/men” to make our words. I don’t like being defined as a subset of men.

Sjofn Sat 16-Feb-19 14:27:09

I'm shocked at how prolific the mistake seems to be online. It's something you learn at primary school, singular and plural nouns??

Sjofn Sat 16-Feb-19 14:29:58

At primary school you'd have to write out the differing spellings and memorise them, and they don't sound that similar.

That would be reinforced from reading if anyone had any doubt.

Qcng Sat 16-Feb-19 14:32:09

I would point it out to you colleague but I'm like that.

iklboo Sat 16-Feb-19 14:43:59

He's / his is cropping up a lot

Sjofn Sun 17-Feb-19 23:17:23

I clocked "If his off work" just now on a thread Iklboo .

Another one is "been" instead of "being". To be is a basic verb right?

LadyRochfordsSpangledGusset Sat 23-Feb-19 12:40:41

kbPOW Sat 23-Feb-19 12:42:16

It drives me mad. What's difficult about it??

LadyRochfordsSpangledGusset Thu 07-Mar-19 12:38:18

Nothing.

It's VERY simple.

LadyRochfordsDeletedGusset Sun 17-Mar-19 14:11:17

Bump.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »