Talk

Advanced search

There is no such word as...

(61 Posts)
rageymcrageface Wed 12-Sep-18 19:50:42

alot
afew
abit

Where in God's name has this all come from? It's so rife on these boards. So many times I've been reading a perfectly reasonable, eloquent post, only to come across one of these "words". I actually fear they will become recognised words and end up in the Oxford Dictionary, just like "selfie". There's probably more that I've forgotten.

I don't claim to be a grammar expert, but these literally aren't even words! I knew I'd be slaughtered if I posted anywhere else about it, so here I am. Does it infuriate anyone also beyond belief? I can't articulate how it makes me feel!

AlrightBabby Thu 13-Sep-18 01:29:35

I've tried and tried, but I can't make disgusting sound like discusting, but I used to know someone who went to a VERY prestigious private school, she was educated to Masters level and ALWAYS wrote alot confused

iklboo Thu 13-Sep-18 10:19:56

I was apauled wink

rageymcrageface Thu 13-Sep-18 20:27:34

"fumming", now that is quite something:

Ginslinger Thu 13-Sep-18 20:32:05

would of finishes me off

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Thu 13-Sep-18 20:34:23

Anal seems to be an Irish thing??
What? I’m assuming you mean an’ all which is just “and all” in a regional accent; but not especially an Irish one.

rageymcrageface Thu 13-Sep-18 20:35:26

Oh God, yes! How could I forget?! That and could of are definitely up there, level pegging with my original list!

OkPedro Fri 14-Sep-18 01:01:24

iamgreyhound I meant "and all" written as anal not the phrase "and all"
So yeah what they want to type is "an all" but they type Anal grin

littlecabbage Fri 14-Sep-18 01:09:32

There's probably more that I've forgotten

Should be "there ARE" - sorry OP!

3ChangingForNow Fri 14-Sep-18 01:12:23

Defiantly instead of definitely.. Yes yes defiantly IS a word. Just the WRONG word.

TownHall Fri 14-Sep-18 01:37:06

'Abit' and 'afew' are typos surely?

Some people really struggle with written English and I think it's unkind to be so scornful of them. What if someone had learning difficulties, dyslexia or didn't speak English as a first language reads this thread. Some people could be really upset and embarrassed by it. Is that your intention?

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Fri 14-Sep-18 08:21:15

Oh I see, Pedro. Why would you actually type in the vernacular at all, though. Nobody needs to “hear” your accent through the written word.

rageymcrageface Sat 22-Sep-18 14:25:51

"Loose" instead of "lose"!

AskingForAnEnemy Sat 22-Sep-18 14:30:25

When people don't know the difference between of and off.

A person on my Facebook keeps posting that she's looking forward to "A week of work"

I have to sit on my hands to not respond with "why would you look forward to a week of work??"

Hanyu Sat 22-Sep-18 14:34:32

Sometimes the space bar doesn't get hit hard enough on my computer, so words get stuck together.

Abit really should be a word.

I'm going to sleep abit. Like a modern version of awhile.

ferrier Sat 22-Sep-18 14:56:39

My phone tries very hard to autocorrect me to some of these and many other even more bizarre non-words. Sometimes I don't notice so I apologise in arrears and in advance if I upset anyone.

mumsiedarlingrevolta Sat 22-Sep-18 15:02:25

Positivity.
It's not a word just because people are trying to make it one.

iklboo Sat 22-Sep-18 15:18:02

* Positivity.*
It's not a word just because people are trying to make it one.

Sorry, than one is a proper word, especially in science. It's just being over-used by shiny eyed 'life coaches' these days. grin

mypoosmellsofroses Sat 22-Sep-18 15:22:35

delete if not aloud angry

CanadianJohn Sat 22-Sep-18 15:26:27

I grew up in a very literate family in an area where dropping the initial 'h' was almost universal. I had a friend who genuinely could not see any difference between 'is' and 'his', as in "I borrowed is book".

This was in pre-internet days, btw, about 60 years ago.

abbey44 Sat 22-Sep-18 15:35:13

Discrete being used instead of discreet seems to be increasingly common.

Lauren0rder Sat 22-Sep-18 15:37:00

His and he’s bugs me too.

His not going to school today.

His feeling unwell.

😡😡😡😡

Dontsweathesmallstuff Sat 22-Sep-18 15:45:52

Butlerswharf yes, Restbite drives me crazy.

Its Respite. I need some of that.
I don't fancy any Restbite though, sounds painful grin

mumsiedarlingrevolta Sat 22-Sep-18 15:49:02

It's just being over-used by shiny eyed 'life coaches' these days

blush I stand corrected. and totally agree with your assessment grin

wizzywig Sat 22-Sep-18 15:50:10

Asdas and mataland

Cattenberg Sat 22-Sep-18 18:14:14

Irregardless

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »