Talk

Advanced search

Off of - my grammatical tolerance limit has been exceeded

(35 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

TwitterQueen1 Tue 13-Mar-18 09:17:19

I know this should be in Pedants' Corner but posting here for traffic. I make no claims to be perfect when it comes to use of English but as a trained English teacher (many years ago) correct (or acceptable) usage does matter to me.

I am also ashamed to admit I was on the DM site earlier, where I spotted the headline Black celebrities come to Bruno Mars' defence after he is accused of 'cultural appropriation' for profiting off of African-American musical styles

FROM!!!!!! the word is FROM!!!!! This is it! I was coming close with the constant pleas to "bare with me" despite the fact that I don't want to get naked with anyone just now, but I'm over the edge now....

sircoconut Tue 13-Mar-18 09:20:26

Perhaps you should challenge yourself a bit more with your choice of reading material.

Flomper Tue 13-Mar-18 09:20:43

I feel the pain. I can no longer cope with peiple saying "I really want France to loose" or "I will loose my shit if one more person tells me that"

They dont say "I loosed my purse" so why, why, WHY!

strawberrysparkle Tue 13-Mar-18 09:21:01

The daily mail is the worst for SPAG mistakes, it makes me cringe

WildFeralLife Tue 13-Mar-18 09:21:39

Scott Mills does this ALL the time! It fucks me off and I have to turn over.

crabb Tue 13-Mar-18 09:22:14

Oh lordy, TQ I’m with you!! My eyes.... and ears. Just how could you write that? However, I have heard it used on a fairly erudite American podcast recently - is it an Americanism?

WildFeralLife Tue 13-Mar-18 09:22:34

flomper the wouldn’t say ‘I lose my purse’ either.

WildFeralLife Tue 13-Mar-18 09:23:21

‘I losed my purse’

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Tue 13-Mar-18 09:26:46

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

SluttyButty Tue 13-Mar-18 09:27:04

It drives me round the bend. ‘Could of’ makes me wince, Chester drawers is the one that really makes me annoyed. I could possibly think of many more but I don’t want to get too stressed today.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Tue 13-Mar-18 09:28:44

What SPaG rules are you following that make multiple exclamation marks appropriate? I would have thought that a 'teacher' would know better.

TwitterQueen1 Tue 13-Mar-18 09:30:05

Lying "you're a ubiquitous attention-seeker." bit harsh! no need for rude comments.

WildFeralLife Tue 13-Mar-18 09:30:12

lying you’re part of the traffic! Why not just scroll on by?

CigarsofthePharoahs Tue 13-Mar-18 09:30:56

There's a sign in my road that reads "Do Not Block, Driveway Always In Constant Use"
It annoys me. It's either always in use, or in constant use. Doesn't need both. It isn't, anyway. It's quite often not being used at all. "Driveway In Regular Use" would be better.

WildFeralLife Tue 13-Mar-18 09:31:10

shock lying has a bee in her bonnet!

ThisIsTheFirstStep Tue 13-Mar-18 09:32:43

I like ‘off of’ especially ‘off of the telly’.

lying bit harsh, flippin heck

headinhands Tue 13-Mar-18 09:35:18

I don't get it. Surely you knew what was meant? It's not like the sentence was incomprehensible and you initially thought it was a wildlife report on the mating habits of manatees?

TwitterQueen1 Tue 13-Mar-18 09:37:33

crabb yes I think you're right, it is an Americanism. I work with loads of Americans and it seems to be very common over there.

WildFeralLife Tue 13-Mar-18 09:37:50

That’s what Scott Mills does thisis

Flomper Tue 13-Mar-18 09:37:54

WildFeral no, they'd say I lost my purse not I loost my purse. Where does the extra o come from?

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Tue 13-Mar-18 09:41:03

Of course it was perfectly comprehensible. The OP - and others - like to pick holes in other people's language usage because it makes them feel better.

I'm not a bit sorry. Nor will I apologise for pointing out to the OP that ellipsis is THREE dots. Sauce for the goose and all that...

WildFeralLife Tue 13-Mar-18 09:48:43

flomper I know that, I just couldn’t understand your example as you didn’t say loost, you said loosed.

ParanoidGynodroid Tue 13-Mar-18 09:49:23

A wildlife report on the mating habits of manatees sounds far more interesting than a stupid Fail story about Bruno Mars, but when it comes to journalism, surely it's not just enough to understand the jist, headinhands?
I mean journalists are professional writers and should have a certain facility with language. Or at least basic spelling and grammar knowledge.

Then again the fail is just a pile of shite.

TwitterQueen1 Tue 13-Mar-18 09:59:23

I have looked up the mating habits of manatees following head's post. Bit boring tbh.
Manatees do not form permanent pair bonds like some animal species. During breeding, a single female, or cow, will be followed by a group of a dozen or more males or bulls, forming a mating herd.

Manatees communicate through sound, sight and probably taste, touch, and smell. Manatees emit sounds underwater that are believed to be used in communicating with one another. Manatee sounds can be described as chirps, whistles or squeaks. Vocalizations may express fear, anger, or sexual arousal.

Paranoid yes, I agree. Professional journos who get paid to write should have a good, solid grasp of English.

I know the DM is shite, but I'm ill and bored and unable to do much, and my brain can only cope with small doses of politically correct reading material. wink

TheHungryDonkey Tue 13-Mar-18 10:09:38

There’s so much more to journalism than grammar. Getting the story, telling the story Spag, law, that’s as basic as it gets. They now need to shoot photos, take videos, edit incorporate seo shite into stories, sometimes CSS and additional difficulties with content management systems and coding.

The spag check would have been the job of a sub editor but I don’t think those even exist anymore. I don’t like the Mail at all. But the myth peddled on Mumsnet that journalists are lazy and stupid is very unfair and a bit thick.

Journalists never worked in a void until margins were cut so tightly they were expected to do everything as well as dance on their head.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: