Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can you start a sentence with 'for example'

(19 Posts)
hmcAsWas Sun 29-Oct-17 19:50:42

I am not a grammar aficionado (but I get by...). My dd has asked re her English homework, if she can start a sentence with 'for example' - I don't know if this grammatically acceptable but I assume you lot will? smile

AgentProvocateur Sun 29-Oct-17 19:58:32

No, but I don’t really know how to explain why not.

MyBrilliantDisguise Sun 29-Oct-17 20:03:20

No it relates to the sentence prior to it then, which wouldn't make sense. So:

My children have different interests. For example, my daughter enjoys fishing and my son enjoys tap dancing.

That second sentence isn't a sentence, but if you used a semi colon, it would work.

Heratnumber7 Sun 29-Oct-17 20:11:39

“”For example” is not a grammatically correct way to start a sentence” is a proper sentence grin

hmcAsWas Sun 29-Oct-17 20:12:45

Okay - thanks. Quick, helpful answers.

She had wanted to write:

"His feelings are portrayed in his use of language and the words he has chosen. For example, the use of ‘doomed youth’ in the title of the poem conveys Owen’s feelings...."

stonecircle Sun 29-Oct-17 20:13:28

Hmc - I think that’s absolutely fine.

BeyondTheMoon Sun 29-Oct-17 20:15:55

I'm with MBD - needs a semi-colon. Which my autocorrect changed to semi-colin. Not sure what one of those is.

CountDuckulaTheSqueaky Sun 29-Oct-17 20:17:41

I think that "for example" is a conjunction, and, as such, can't be used to start a sentence.

stonecircle Sun 29-Oct-17 20:18:06

If you google your question you’ll find lots of support for starting a sentence with ‘For example’.

CountDuckulaTheSqueaky Sun 29-Oct-17 20:19:07

BeyondTheMoon* half a Colin? thlgrin

hmcAsWas Sun 29-Oct-17 20:19:44

That's interesting stonecircle.

OlennasWimple Sun 29-Oct-17 20:22:52

hmc I think that example is fine to use.

(I don't think it's a preposition, though!)

SoftSheen Sun 29-Oct-17 20:26:42

It's fine. You can also start a sentence with 'And', 'But' or 'Nevertheless'.

CountDuckulaTheSqueaky Sun 29-Oct-17 20:47:38

You're not supposed to, though.

SoftSheen Sun 29-Oct-17 20:54:25

You're not supposed to, though.

Why not?

BeyondTheMoon Sun 29-Oct-17 21:08:47

According to this www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/can-i-start-a-sentence-with-a-conjunction it's because Victorians thought people "couldn't handle the freedom of using conjunctions". Which is my favourite sentence I've read today.

CountDracula I was thinking it would be more like "someone who is not completely living up to the high standards required by the name Colin* grin

BeyondTheMoon Sun 29-Oct-17 21:09:55

Sorry, I over-halloweened you CountDuckula!

NeonMist Sun 29-Oct-17 21:13:31

In academic writing you often start a sentence with 'for example' - as in the example you provided. It's correct English.

DadDadDad Sun 29-Oct-17 21:47:37

Starting a sentence with "For example" looks good to me - nicely separates the general statement from the specific example. And, of course it's a legitimate sentence if it has a verb and a subject.

Also, why not start a sentence with "And" (as I just did)? It can be a useful way to signal an afterthought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now