Talk

Advanced search

Could this ever be correct?

(16 Posts)
margaritasbythesea Fri 20-Oct-17 09:50:04

My friend has had a sentence in an English composition marked and a sentence in it was corrected from:

In my opinion, a big company doesn´t mean a good company either a good product. (Which is wrong. I would put or instead of either)

to

In my opinion, a big company doesn´t mean a good company nor a good product.´

Could this be correct?

margaritasbythesea Fri 20-Oct-17 09:59:59

I think that this would be correct:

A big company doesn´t mean a good company, nor does it mean a good product.

I can´t explain the difference to her.

MarklahMarklah Fri 20-Oct-17 10:03:35

No. It ought to be "either" paired with "or", or "neither" paired with "nor".
It reads better with a little amendment: 'In my opinion, a big company means neither a good company nor a good product.'
Alternatively, it could say: 'In my opinion, a big company does not necessarily mean a good company, or a good product.'

However, it is hard to understand the context. A big company is surely just that. They must keep in business by producing a desirable product or suite of products and that, in turn, would lead to growth.
I realise I've gone off-topic. 😀

Optimist1 Fri 20-Oct-17 10:10:45

I think the negative expressed in "doesn't" means that "nor" (as opposed to "or") is correct in the second part of the sentence. So I find the offered correction acceptable.

In your suggestion, "does it mean" could be seen as redundant or as stressing the two elements - the company and the product. Not an incorrect correction either, IMHO!

margaritasbythesea Fri 20-Oct-17 10:13:49

But could you tell me why that use of nor is correct, Optimist?

Optimist1 Fri 20-Oct-17 10:38:27

Strictly speaking when there's a negative in the first part of the sentence it's correct to use "nor" in the second, although in practice "or" is often used and is probably acceptable to all but us pedants!

margaritasbythesea Fri 20-Oct-17 23:54:17

Thanks for your reply. You're probably correct about redundancy in my sentences, but what I can't provide is an explanation of why the teacher's sentence is correct. If you, could provide one, or link one, I would be most grateful

margaritasbythesea Fri 20-Oct-17 23:56:06

Sorry - sentence. I'm not using an English keypad and autocorrect is difficult to control.

Optimist1 Sat 21-Oct-17 15:57:25

Sorry, margarita; as you'll have gathered I'm no teacher so not great at detailed explanations!

Your friend's positioning of "either" in her sentence is wrong because it should go before "a good company", followed by "or a good product". B
Alternative phrasing your friend could have used
doesn´t mean a good company either a good product

trulybadlydeeply Sat 21-Oct-17 16:02:13

collector friend not say:

In my opinion, a big company does not equal a good company, or a good product

trulybadlydeeply Sat 21-Oct-17 16:03:28

*could your, not collector!

Optimist1 Sat 21-Oct-17 16:05:35

Sorry again, margarita - I haven't been at the gin, honestly!! Was composing the above post and considering alternative ways of trying to explain myself when the laptop decided to take charge of things and post my disconnected jottings! Will try to figure our what I want to say and revert shortly. smile

Optimist1 Sat 21-Oct-17 18:35:30

Head well and truly aching now, margarita!

As we're agreed, the position of "either" in your friend's sentence isn't right because although you can use "or" without "either", you can't use "either" without "or". And if we're being sticklers (as the teacher presumably is) the same rules apply for "neither" and "nor" because of the negative word "doesn't".

margaritasbythesea Sat 21-Oct-17 22:08:33

Sorry, I got distracted from the thread, actually because I got a bit upset about the issue and how the topic came up.

I didn't quite follow your last sentence. So you think the teacher's correction is wrong?

I had told her it was one thing but then looked it up on the Cambridge dictionary site and couldn't find anything to support me and felt embarrassed. I hate this sort of thing! Thanks for your help.

Optimist1 Sat 21-Oct-17 22:52:04

When you say you didn't follow my last sentence were you referring to my post of 15.57 today? Because that's one that I inadvertently posted when it was far from finished - just jottings, really! I think the teacher's correction is right.

margaritasbythesea Sun 22-Oct-17 07:45:31

Thank you very much and thanks for your kind PM.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now