Talk

Advanced search

Appositives

(7 Posts)
GallopingMom Mon 12-Jun-17 15:47:17

Please help dd who is studying for an English exam. In the sentence "Roy, the brown dog, ran around the garden", is the noun "Roy" the subject of the verb and therefore the noun "dog" is in apposition to "Roy"? Or do appositives have to be phrases and can be present in a sentence without a noun or pronoun as the subject?

VintagePerfumista Tue 13-Jun-17 07:06:53

It will be "the brown dog" as a substitute for Roy I think. (the appositive in a sentence is often put between commas) Hmm, or possibly "Roy" as the oppositive for "brown dog"

Is it a primary SPaG thing? The teachers on the primary education threads will be able to say for sure.

Ifailed Tue 13-Jun-17 07:13:04

I'm afraid I can't help, but would just like to point out I've got through over 5 decades of living, acquired several O and A levels and a degree, have worked in various professional roles, including major UK and international companies; yet I have no idea what Appositives are (nor does my spell-checker), and wonder why your DD needs to?

MercuryMadness Tue 13-Jun-17 07:59:54

Roy is the subject.
Brown dog is the appositive.

MercuryMadness Tue 13-Jun-17 08:10:03

The appositive is the bit in commas, the bit that gives supplemental info on the noun.

MercuryMadness Tue 13-Jun-17 08:10:47

Have a look here:

http://www.chompchomp.com/terms/appositive.htm

GallopingMom Tue 13-Jun-17 18:10:28

Thank you!

Ifailed I couldn't agree more.

We're not in the UK so different schooling system.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: