Talk

Advanced search

Pismonunciations that drive you nuts

(289 Posts)
GoodyGoodyGumdrops Thu 09-Mar-17 21:49:54

I'm sure you've all got your particular teeth-clenching, fingernails-on-blackboard nemesis.

Today's offering: they did "drawring" in Art.

I will break him of that habit. I will!

DaffodilsAndCrocus Fri 10-Mar-17 00:18:50

Youngest came up with spelling of "regually" for regularly. Tbfrank I may be to blame for that one..Hanging my head..

I heard a Channel 4 news presenter say "pertikelly" for particularly last week.

80sMum Fri 10-Mar-17 00:26:07

I get irrationally irritated when people pronounce distribute and contribute with the emphasis on the 1st syllable instead of the 2nd, as in con-tribute rather than con- trib-ute.

The same applies to schedule being pronounced skedule instead of shedule.

80sMum Fri 10-Mar-17 00:29:02

Oh, and Nike being pronounced to rhyme with "Mike" when it should rhyme with "spikey".

ArchNotImpudent Fri 10-Mar-17 00:31:48

"Esculate" for escalate ... grrr!

OrlandaFuriosa Fri 10-Mar-17 00:37:28

Furor for furore

Orienting for orienteering

Not a mispronunciation but floor for ground....

Failure to say th.. and it can be done, I had to learn

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Fri 10-Mar-17 07:45:40

Is-ree-el for Israel.

It is written Is-ra-el and should be pronounced that way!

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Fri 10-Mar-17 07:46:38

And new-kew-lar for nuclear.

Megatherium Fri 10-Mar-17 07:49:42

I came on to say nucular. I really can't understand what they find difficult about nuclear.

Also mee-tree-ology for meteorology. Paxman, I'm looking at you.

WafflingVersatile Fri 10-Mar-17 07:52:32

Nukiller instead of nuclear!!!

Smidge001 Fri 10-Mar-17 07:53:43

Sikth instead of sixth.
REALLY ANNOYS ME!!!! angry

uncoolnn Fri 10-Mar-17 07:55:59

A common one, but a woman I work with says "Pacific" for specific. Drives me up the wall.

Eolian Fri 10-Mar-17 07:56:56

People who pronounce 'bald' as 'bold'. I know some people claim that's just their accent and they can't say them differently, but they don't pronounce 'ball' and 'bowl' the same, so that doesn't make sense!

Penguin27 Fri 10-Mar-17 08:03:32

Haha love this thread, even though I can't think of anything to contribute right now! Although I'm very aware that I always mispronounce "bald" as "bold" to the point that, as rarely as it comes up, I avoid saying it!

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Fri 10-Mar-17 08:06:06

And fith for fifth!

OnceMoreIntoTheBleach Fri 10-Mar-17 08:11:30

Nucular drives me insane!

And does anyone know the correct pronunciation of sudoku?

It reads like soo doh coo to me. Why do people say soo doo co??

OnceMoreIntoTheBleach Fri 10-Mar-17 08:12:12

Also, why do so many people sound a 't' in else?

Elts?? What is that?

FairNotFair Fri 10-Mar-17 08:14:56

"Pleece" for "police" I'm looking at you, newsreaders

"Miss-chee-vee-uss" for "mischievous" - invent a whole extra syllable, why don't you?

Toddlerteaplease Fri 10-Mar-17 08:20:05

One of my colleagues says 'Yorn instead of yours. Gives me the rage as does bronchitis instead of bronchiolitis. Not the same thing at all!

Toddlerteaplease Fri 10-Mar-17 08:20:46

Oh and people on here who write effect instead of affect.

AgentCooper Fri 10-Mar-17 08:26:03

Oh Lord, my SIL says 'cinemar' and I want to kill her.

I worked with someone who couldn't pronounce pomegranate and would say, with great authority, 'pom-ANG-gra-nayt.' I mean what the actual fuck?

banivani Fri 10-Mar-17 08:40:34

Bleach If you want to be picky about Sudoku the U should be sharper and more pointed. If you're speaking Japanese like. So, yeah, it's two different sounds so I get why yours is closer to the spelling, but you could argue that since it's not "right" it doesn't matter, the "english" pronunciation could easily be soodooocoo. It's just what people use most that decided I suppose. Personally a lot of English accents, apparently, really grate on me. But it's not strictly mispronunciations, it's accent. I noticed it watching British cooking programmes. Vanillar essence for example. Cinemar above is another good one. However, on the plus side, it explained to me the "it's not Leviosar, it's Leviosaaaa" from Harry Potter, because they didn't pronounce it clearly enough in the film for me to understand what the issue was.

DaffodilsAndCrocus Fri 10-Mar-17 09:04:29

Is yorn old? Being contrary I like dialect and old forms but won't stand for modernisms!

StealthPolarBear Fri 10-Mar-17 09:10:44

Agree about sudoku, I always assume it was su doh cu but people seem to say so dooo coh.

Mine is sec u terry. Especially on the news.

OnceMoreIntoTheBleach Fri 10-Mar-17 09:26:45

Banivani thanks for that explanation! I feel I can be a little less annoyed by it now - always a good thing smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now