Talk

Advanced search

You know...

(6 Posts)
GameofPhones Tue 31-Jan-17 21:21:43

I had the impression that 'you know' was used less as a filler recently, but now it seems to be coming back. I was interested to hear an American academic using it prolifically on radio today. It made me wonder what the equivalents are in other languages? Perhaps 'weisst du' in German? That phrase is certainly used, but perhaps not as a filler in quite the same way?

VintagePerfumista Sat 04-Feb-17 08:06:19

Cioe' is used in Italian.

I make my language students record themselves so they hear just how often initially they plop a "cioe'" into a gap.

I notice I say "I mean" in the middle of almost every sentence blush

GameofPhones Sat 04-Feb-17 20:58:39

How is "cioe' pronounced?

VintagePerfumista Sun 05-Feb-17 07:57:41

Cho- and then (IME) an interminably long, irritating "eeeeeeeeeee" while the kids think of what to say next!

GameofPhones Sun 05-Feb-17 21:41:23

Language teaching has become much less prescriptive than in the past. I wonder if any have gone so far as to teach these fillers? (If you can't think of how to say something, stall for a while with 'You know' or 'I mean'),

VintagePerfumista Mon 06-Feb-17 06:57:55

Definitely! I do it all the time, it makes the kids sound more natural.

There is a book actually called Slots and Fillers (Italian publisher I think, as it is used in Italian universities) massive thing- my uni students do a whole term's exam based on it. The book itself is crapola but the concept is good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now