Talk

Advanced search

Is mumsnet everything that is wrong with the world today?

(47 Posts)
Milleal Sat 16-Jul-16 21:00:13

So, I ventured on here to look for advice on something, and I'm shocked and horrified.
All I can see is spiteful, bitchy nasty people who can't wait to pull people down, make them feel bad, belittle them, and backstab,
What's wrong with everyone! What about sisterhood, being supportive, adult debate, supporting others opinions.
What do people achieve by being so vile to others? Does it make them feel good, like they're better than others?

BacktoZak Sat 16-Jul-16 21:04:02

All I can see is spiteful, bitchy nasty people who can't wait to pull people down, make them feel bad, belittle them, and backstab

Where abouts did you see that?
All I've ever had on here is brilliant & supportive advice

CocktailQueen Sat 16-Jul-16 21:06:00

Where did you see that? Apart from the trolls, mumsnet is full of lovely people and helpful, supportive advice. Maybe give it more time before judging - and look on other forums apart from AIBU.

ImperialBlether Sat 16-Jul-16 21:06:20

Have you just been hanging out on AIBU? You should look at other boards on the site - I've not noticed anyone being nasty anywhere else.

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Sat 16-Jul-16 21:06:30

If that is all you can see you are looking in the wrong places.

I see threads full of support, advice, sometimes even practical rl help.

I see lots of debate about all sorts of topics. Lots of differing views and funny posters.

I also see the odd idiot but they are usually deleted. Maybe don't go into AIBU and give the rest of the site a chance. AIBU is well known for its 'robust' opinions the rest of the site is pretty great.

LilacSpunkMonkey Sat 16-Jul-16 21:07:29

I hate to be a pedant (although this is exactly the place for it!) but why is this in 'Pedant's Corner'?

DancingDinosaur Sat 16-Jul-16 21:08:20

All I can see is spiteful, bitchy nasty people who can't wait to pull people down, make them feel bad, belittle them, and backstab

I'm surprised that is all you can see. You should look a little harder. Theres plenty more good here than there is bad.

WellErrr Sat 16-Jul-16 21:10:37

Lilac you beat me to it grin

To be fair, to those of us who e been here a few years, it IS a lovely supportive place, because historically that is what it has been.

However, if I pitched up fresh to AIBU in the last few months.....I'd agree with the OP. It has had a pretty nasty undertone just lately.

Oblomov16 Sat 16-Jul-16 21:13:26

Rubbish. You've been looking in the wrong places. I've been here for 13 years. The SN boards are incredibly supportive. Last week one MN'er fixed another MN'ers wedding dress. Beautiful.
Look again.

Heatherbell1978 Sat 16-Jul-16 21:14:23

I see a few bitchy, uncalled for comments here and there but mainly in response to someone looking for an opinion on something and to be fair, they asked! There's been a lot of heated debate on EU referendum posts but again, the posters tend to ask for it. If you don't want to hear negative comments, don't ask!

usual Sat 16-Jul-16 21:19:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

usual Sat 16-Jul-16 21:22:38

BlushRanunculus Sat 16-Jul-16 21:37:17

I've been on this site for roughly 5 months and at first I was a little shocked as I stumbled onto some pretty harsh treads as others have said AIBU but actually for every nasty poster there are many, many others telling the nasty ones to wind their necks in. I've found the advice on here really helpful ... and I'm slightly addicted to it now

Arfarfanarf Sat 16-Jul-16 21:39:40

Look some more.

HoundoftheBaskervilles Sat 16-Jul-16 21:57:20

I've been here for ten years under various guises and have had nothing but support (I probably have had my arse handed to me on a plate a couple of times over the years but no doubt deserved it), when I've had real problems to deal with the posters on here have been a huge source of both practical and emotional support.

There are very many knowledgeable and compassionate women on here.

Doesn't mean there ain't a few arseholes though, I've probably been one myself from time to time.

TulipsInAJug Sat 16-Jul-16 22:00:58

For people genuinely looking for advice, it's normally good on here.

Don't, however, identify yourself as a Leave voter in the EU topic. You will be bullied and have bile heaped upon you. It's MN at its very worst.

ExitPursuedByABear Sat 16-Jul-16 22:04:21

This is so not fit for here.

This is my go to space for all things rational.

Sorry but you need to post somewhere else.

Pestilence13610 Sat 16-Jul-16 22:10:19

It's a pain, but sometimes people are up front to the point of being a bit abrupt or darn right rude. And other times they are lovely and supportive. You make your post and take the risk, YABU to hide in pedants' corner.
I have just started a sentence with a conjunctive in pedants' corner, I may burn in HELL

usual Sat 16-Jul-16 22:13:43

Wondermoomin Sat 16-Jul-16 22:19:13

I get what you mean, to an extent. I first joined about 6 years ago and have dropped in and out since. As others have said AIBU threads tend to be the ones to bring out any nastiness but there are lots of other boards that are actually quite supportive and work well. In my opinion, people who deny there's any nastiness or bitchiness are being naive or blinkered. There's quite a range on MN, good and bad.

usual Sat 16-Jul-16 22:23:36

Sooverthis Sat 16-Jul-16 22:29:54

I don't think Tulips was used the thread for ... own agenda what an unpleasant thing to say on a thread where the OP is concerned about exactly that behaviour. The blanket shutting down of discussion and the bullying on mn following the GE and the referendum are prime examples of mn nastiness and make me sad too.

Sooverthis Sat 16-Jul-16 22:31:02

Oh dear my grammar went very wrong there and in Pedants Corner blush

usual Sat 16-Jul-16 22:37:41

EttaJ Sat 16-Jul-16 22:38:26

I've mainly seen incredibly supportive and helpful replies and advice,some very touching actually but if people post goady shit and ask for short sharp shrift , they can't be surprised when they get it and it's well deserved.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now