Talk

Advanced search

a colleague keeps writing "formerly" to refer to something's past state

(18 Posts)
StealthPolarBear Thu 16-Jun-16 23:15:00

And it's right I know. But it looks so wrong. I never used to have spelling and grammar blindness but seem to have developed it. Is it possible to see something incorrect so frequently (as an adult) that your brain adapts?

pieceofpurplesky Thu 16-Jun-16 23:16:29

Equiptment.
We are equipt ... It should not be equipment

StealthPolarBear Thu 16-Jun-16 23:18:07

I've never seen that! And never seen 'equipt' either.
I have started getting to and too wrong myself. And sometimes (often) I miss the a postpone from its and don't care. I do care when I'm writing the possessive though and autocorrect puts one in for me!

MargotLovedTom Thu 16-Jun-16 23:21:29

Do you mean equipped?

MargotLovedTom Thu 16-Jun-16 23:23:50

Autocorrect has buggered up your 'apostrophe' wink.

I find myself writing loose for lose blush. I think it's because the 'oo' sound is longer in lose than it is in loose (the way I say it anyway!).

StealthPolarBear Thu 16-Jun-16 23:25:28

Thankfully it is different enough to be obviously autocorrect !! In my mind it should end in y. Apostrophy.

frontalcortexburnout Thu 16-Jun-16 23:25:45

I wrote lead for led recently

QuimReaper Thu 16-Jun-16 23:26:01

Good point Margot that is the only typo my very pedantic boss ever makes, I'm sure you're right about that being why - I always wonder!

Scarydinosaurs Thu 16-Jun-16 23:28:17

I'm so confused.

Formerly is right, isn't it? Formally is the adverb of formal?

MargotLovedTom Thu 16-Jun-16 23:35:08

Yes, it is right, but SPB keeps thinking it's wrong when she actually knows it's right.

MargotLovedTom Thu 16-Jun-16 23:38:31

I think it's quite a common one Quim - in fact, the more I look at 'lose', the more it looks like it should be pronounced 'lows' confused.

Scarydinosaurs Thu 16-Jun-16 23:39:36

Oh phew. I started to doubt myself. I stared at the thread title for ages trying to figure it out. And then couldn't work out the first few posts.

Formerly. Formally.

RedCrimson Thu 16-Jun-16 23:54:23

DH was at DS's football tournament on the weekend, I text to ask how it was going and he replied:

"One 1 lost 1"

Totally confused me until I realised one was meant to be won!
He also gets role and roll mixed up. Asking what he'd like for lunch and he texts "just a ham role" grrrrr!!! He teaches foundation degree ffs! Got an A* at GCSE English and an A in A-Level English!

MargotLovedTom Fri 17-Jun-16 15:36:35

Pieceofpurple you have equipment to equip you to do something.

pieceofpurplesky Sat 18-Jun-16 22:34:44

I know but it sounds like a t

HairySubject Sat 18-Jun-16 22:37:58

I keep getting confused with past and passed. I had to ask the other day in work. blush

GiddyOnZackHunt Sat 18-Jun-16 22:40:46

Accommodation. Written correctly there are too many 'M"s in it confused

EBearhug Sat 18-Jun-16 22:47:04

I have had a couple of times lately where I have found myself typing the wrong type of there/their/they're for the context. I've so far always caught it before others get to see it, but I don't understand why it's happening in the first place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now