Talk

Advanced search

"Yous"

(36 Posts)
MGC1986 Tue 26-Apr-16 10:15:27

E.g. Hope "yous" two have a great day.

Why do people speak like this? Fucking idiots!

SpeakNoWords Tue 26-Apr-16 10:42:48

I would imagine it's their accent/dialect rather than a lack of understanding of English spelling/grammar.

MGC1986 Tue 26-Apr-16 10:44:00

It's still incorrect!

SpeakNoWords Tue 26-Apr-16 10:47:56

Which version of spoken English is the correct one?

Footle Tue 26-Apr-16 10:48:50

I think it's incorrect to criticise people for using their local dialect.

MGC1986 Tue 26-Apr-16 10:52:52

It was sarcasm.

Skrewt Tue 26-Apr-16 11:05:51

It's colloquial. I like it - I don't use it but think it makes sense - as does "ye" for the same reason.

rightmywrongs Tue 26-Apr-16 11:12:04

Definitely local dialect.
I say it and no one would bat an eye lid
NE Scotland,

rightmywrongs Tue 26-Apr-16 11:12:56

This would give you the willies if it bothers you so much,
Some people and this is just going a shade too far in my opinion type "use" rather than "yous"

What are use up to...?

treaclesoda Tue 26-Apr-16 11:15:00

It's standard dialect in N Ireland. It doesn't mean we're too thick to use 'correct' English, it's just speaking to other locals in the standard way. There is a time for formal English - workplace, presentations, essays etc, and a time for informal speech. It's no big deal.

trevortrevorslatterfry Tue 26-Apr-16 11:16:51

Agree it is colloquial rather than "idiocy".

I love "yous"!

I think English is the poorer for not having this as an actual word. Like vosotros / ustedes in Spanish and vous in French.

So I have decided it is a word and I use it all the time. So there.

BrianCoxReborn Tue 26-Apr-16 11:17:38

The Liverpool Youth use "use" in this way.

Where are "use" going?

Or rather....

Were r use goin.

DramaAlpaca Tue 26-Apr-16 11:17:57

Yous/e and ye are Irish dialect, and perfectly acceptable in everyday speech.

Where I live ye is used as the plural of you.

ouryve Tue 26-Apr-16 11:18:29

Old dialect going back a long way.

They distinguish between you singular and you plural in other European languages. That the English language has evolved not to, by certain measures of correctness, doesn't make a great deal of sense.

AHintOfStyle Tue 26-Apr-16 11:19:33

Even worse is 'you's' - if you have to use that word then please don't make it worse by inserting a random apostrophe.

rightmywrongs Tue 26-Apr-16 11:26:52

You's is a different kettle of fish as that would mean you is & make zero sense.

MGC1986 Tue 26-Apr-16 12:48:24

The people who I've heard use it have been local to me (London) and it's not part of the dialect here at all. I remember a couple of people using it at school and being told it's wrong.

Now that I think of it a friend of mine who's Irish uses it but that doesn't irritate me because I think of it as being part of her dialect. The example in thinking of isn't though.

prism Tue 26-Apr-16 17:18:40

It's quite logical really- it's an effort to make up for the fact that in English the second person singular and plural pronoun are the same, which is a bit confusing. It's why people in southern states in the USA say "y'all".

FruStefanOla Wed 27-Apr-16 16:06:39

MGC. I live in London in an area where there was (and still is) a large Irish community. Those people might have London accents, but they still use many words, or expressions, from their Irish heritage, including the word 'yous'.

steppemum Wed 27-Apr-16 16:39:54

It is a London accent too. Very East End when I lived there.

LemonBreeland Wed 27-Apr-16 16:41:56

I live in Scotland and I fucking hate this! there is no plural of the word you. I also hate mines, as in that's mines, that belongs to me.

bibbitybobbityyhat Wed 27-Apr-16 16:43:15

I'm afraid you sound like an uptight and intolerant plum, op.

ICanSeeForMiles Wed 27-Apr-16 16:44:42

I can remember saying yous as a child and my mother saying 'ewes are female sheep, ICanSee'
Now, should my dc say it, my mother comes out my mouth blush

ThereIsIron Wed 27-Apr-16 16:47:22

It's lazy NI - it should be yousn's grin

MargotLovedTom Wed 27-Apr-16 16:48:05

Happens a lot in NE England. Along with we, pronounced 'wuh', for us:

"Do you want to come with wuh?"
"What time are yous going, like?"

Not generally a written thing though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now