Preferring the old fashioned phrase to the one in common usage

(6 Posts)
MidnightVelvetthe5th Thu 07-Apr-16 18:19:34

I'm reading a book from my childhood where some under tens are camping in their garden & the hosting mother wants to know if they have enough blankets. Unlike me who would throw the kitchen window open & bellow down the garden 'do you have enough blankets', the mother instead walks all the way down to the bottom of the garden in her pretty dress & heels & asks them in a calm voice 'Have you enough blankets?' I wish I could say 'have you enough cucumber' or suchlike to my kids but the default phrase now is 'do you have enough'. Which is longer & takes more time to say.

I might trial the other way at work tomorrow, slip in a little 'have you enough photocopier toner' or similar as I much prefer this version smile if you heard me would you think I was a twat?

5tardusty Thu 07-Apr-16 19:18:32

I wouldn't think that you were wierd. I love more old fashioned phrasing like that too!

Floggingmolly Fri 08-Apr-16 22:41:55

Would you think I was a twat?. No, I'd think you'd spent time in Ireland. That kind of phrasing is quite normal there.

Czerny88 Sat 09-Apr-16 17:43:14

Or even, "have you got enough...?" which is even clunkier, but very common.

I much prefer "forthcoming" to "upcoming".

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Fri 15-Apr-16 13:32:26

Unfortunately, even in Famous Five style writing "Have you ....?" was never considered to be correct standard English.

So, I wouldn't think you were a twat, but I might think you were a) Irish, b) American c) not aware of grammar rules for making questions with auxiliary verbs d) all 3.

claraschu Fri 15-Apr-16 13:37:50

"Trial" used to be a noun, in the times to which you refer. I prefer to let nouns be nouns.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now