Talk

Advanced search

Is gotten a word?

(13 Posts)
Coldand Sat 19-Dec-15 19:22:48

English is my second language. This a word I didn't know before. I just noticed it a few weeks ago. Is this a real word and what the correct way of using it

Pico2 Sat 19-Dec-15 19:26:24

It's a real word, but only used by some people. The 'en' ending has a Germanic origin and was common in Old English (I think).

Pico2 Sat 19-Dec-15 19:29:44

It's used in American English, which has some words that were used in British English but have fallen out of use now.

YokoUhOh Sat 19-Dec-15 19:30:43

It's US English, which means that it used to be an English word but is now out of usage here. The Americans quite often still use words that we dropped years ago.

YokoUhOh Sat 19-Dec-15 19:31:04

Sorry Pico X-Post!

sooperdooper Sat 19-Dec-15 19:31:10

Yes more of an Americanism than British English, it always sounds a bit awkward to me

Dec2015 Sat 19-Dec-15 19:32:46

I can't bear it. It's a horrible word!

TheDowagerCuntess Sat 19-Dec-15 19:34:49

It is an older English word that is still used mostly in other English-speaking countries (not just the US).

MidnightVelvetthe4th Sat 19-Dec-15 19:35:12

It's a real word but used in American English not British English. It's an old word that has just fallen out of use and been replaced, it's not wrong to use it but some people would be pedantic and assume its a new fangled Americanism rather than an older preserved word.

Archfarchnad Sat 19-Dec-15 19:36:13

Think of the verb 'forget'. The simple past is 'forgot' and the past participle (the one where you say, eg, 'I have done it') is 'forgotten'. This is exactly how 'gotten' works, without the 'for-' bit. It used to be used this way in English in the 17th century, but then died out in British English and was replaced by 'got' for both the simple past and past participle. But in American English it survived and is widely used for both the past and participle. I get the impression it's wandering back into British English now via the influence of American media (in the same way that 'waiting for' is being replaced by 'waiting on').

Potterwolfie Sat 19-Dec-15 19:38:29

It's common parlance in the USA, where they use 'gotten' in place of 'got' as standard. As a Brit, I used to think it really awkward, but when I lived in the south of the USA for a few years, it quickly began to sound normal (still don't approve though!)

Coldand Sat 19-Dec-15 19:44:20

I only noticed it on the newer American sit coms not the older ones. Thanks for all the info

SenecaFalls Sun 20-Dec-15 16:28:36

In other parts of MN, there is a great deal of ignorance about "gotten" which is often displayed in the how-Americans-have-debased-our-lovely-language threads. But not in Pedants' Corner. smile

Another older word which we have kept in the US is "fall" for autumn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now