Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Whom

(7 Posts)
Fink Fri 13-Nov-15 21:31:43

In the context of an email to a friendly acquaintance, I've got the phrase 'I hope this might help you to know whom to expect.'

I'm torn as to whether/how to rephrase. I refuse to just substitute 'who' for 'whom' on the grounds that it is WRONG (my subconcious inner pedant doesn't subscribe to the idea of fluidity in language use) but 'whom' does sound a bit poncy outside academic essay type situation. Can you think of another way to express the same idea whilst sidestepping the dilemma? I've already wasted time on my Friday night agonising between an infinitive and gerund for the first verb and it's only a casual email ffs. Help me get a grip!

wickedlazy Fri 13-Nov-15 21:37:08

Is "hope this might help you to know who you should expect" correct? Because "hope this might help you to know whom you should expect" sounds wrong?

wickedlazy Fri 13-Nov-15 21:40:13

Can you start your description with:

You should expect someone...

FinallyHere Fri 13-Nov-15 21:41:18

I see the dilemma, but can only suggest the rather clumsy !help you to know the one that is expected? '

Themodernuriahheep Fri 13-Nov-15 21:47:17

I refuse to give up on whom, so I'd either go for option 1 or else say just " I hope this helps".

You could ,I suppose , try " I hope this helps you with/predict who is likely to come."

Fink Fri 13-Nov-15 21:47:16

Sorry, should have made it clearer: the preceding description was of the composition of the group who are coming, not an individual.

...And typing the above has made me realise that I could have just said 'help you to know who's coming', which would have been both concise and decent English. blush

Fink Fri 13-Nov-15 21:49:31

Although thank you for the kind responses so far, and, since I love a good bit of pedantry, do feel free to continue!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now