Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Grammar help, please.

(5 Posts)
Oakmaiden Mon 02-Nov-15 20:38:02

I am writing a supporting letter for a job, and am tying myself into grammatical knots. I think this sentence is essentially correct, but is too long, so the reader loses his place and that makes it seem incorrect. The basic form is "clause: from....to...., clause." Can I use punctuation to make is work? Or should I admit defeat and split it into several sentences?

"AfL is firmly embedded within my teaching: from the use of Learning Objectives and class negotiated Success Criteria and provision of opportunities for rich questioning and discussion, to engagement in reflective feedback and the opportunity to self and peer assess their work, my teaching is focused on what and how the children are learning and their understanding of where they are in their learning and the next steps they need to take. "

Oakmaiden Mon 02-Nov-15 20:38:30

to make "it" work, obviously.

SwedishEdith Mon 02-Nov-15 20:47:47

Maybe just rearrange it a bit? Something like this? I'd cut a rearrange a bit more tbh but I'm watch tv and talking at the same time. grin

"I firmly embed AfL within my teaching. I use Learning Objectives and class negotiated Success Criteria to provide opportunities for the children to question and discuss. These also allow the children to give reflective feedback and the opportunity to self and peer assess their work. I focus my teaching on what and how the children are learning; their understanding of where they are in their learning and the next steps they need to take."

Shallishanti Mon 02-Nov-15 20:51:19

yes, shorter sentences much better!

Oakmaiden Mon 02-Nov-15 21:28:29

Right, shorter sentences it is. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now