Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is there a tried-and-tested, non-passive-aggressive way of complaining about shite grammar from school...

(13 Posts)
FetchezLaVache Tue 08-Sep-15 21:02:34

...without looking like a massive, superior, nit-picking arse?

DS came home from school today with written instructions to bring his reading book to school everyday (sic). Obviously, I can't ignore this slur on the English language, but how do I do so without getting the teacher's back up?

DadDadDad Tue 08-Sep-15 23:29:40

Well, actually you could ignore it. Explain to your son why it's wrong. Keep an eye out for further mistakes, and if there's one that the teacher repeatedly makes, then send them a friendly e-mail. (But I do appreciate how irritating it is to see those in a teaching role making language errors, but then remember we all do make mistakes).

MrsHathaway Tue 08-Sep-15 23:38:11

What 3Dad said.

Then watch out for DC telling the teacher in a very loud voice, "but Mummy says you need a space because it isn't an adjective".

MirandaGoshawk Fri 11-Sep-15 16:28:40

But at least that will get the message across painlessly for you Although you may winder why the teacher is snotty with you next time you see her grin

MirandaGoshawk Fri 11-Sep-15 16:29:21

wonder, not winder bloody pedants' corner Muphry's Law

howabout Fri 11-Sep-15 16:32:18

Have you seriously got nothing better to think about? Just remind him to make sure his reading book is in his bag on his way out the door.

BrendaandEddie Fri 11-Sep-15 16:35:19

was it auto correct on a laptop?

Even teachers are fallible sometimes

I once sent a letter home reminding kids to bring their willies to school

PeterParkerSays Fri 11-Sep-15 16:36:15

DS' school has at least one staff member who thinks plurals are 's, as in car's or biscuit's.

I sit on my hands reading the letters, having accepted wise council from other parents that I will have bigger battles to fight with the school. Coordinator's was today's gem.

If the teachers can teach the children this, why can't they remind their colleagues?

CocktailQueen Fri 11-Sep-15 19:13:27

Brenda - fab grin

CocktailQueen Fri 11-Sep-15 19:14:59

I find it really hard not to say something. Last term we had similar and I put a friendly note in the book bag. Sorted.

RalphSteadmansEye Tue 15-Sep-15 22:14:58

I typed "some time" today, as in "it may be some time in October" and Word underlined it as being incorrect. It's similar to "alot", "along" (time ago) etc. I think they will change within my lifetime to no longer having spaces.

KittiesInsane Tue 15-Sep-15 22:18:33

PeterParker, I see your coordinators and raise you... Jone's. In the spelling and grammar handbook offered to Yr 6 parents, no less.

JessieMcJessie Mon 19-Oct-15 23:01:25

er, peterparker that would be "wise counsel" not "council". As in like a lawyer, rather than a local authority.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now